News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Korean War Medals and leaflets

bmsm

This is my small collection of Korean War medals, two surrender leaflets and a Honor Guard hat badge from unknown date.

I have a question on the R.O.K. Korean War Service Medal. This was one of the first medals to come out and it has the yin and yang symbol on the medal ribbon whereas the medals you see now do not have this on the ribbon. Does anyone know anything about this?

Bob

Perhaps it was an economy measure. It must have been more complicated and expensive to produce the symbol on lengths of ribbon.

Regards

Brett

PS I admired your display.

Brett,

Thank you. The display was from when I collected a little bit of everything until I realized that there is too much to collect and have money to buy it all!!!

Bob

Bob <BR>Although my collecting is focussed on medals (including Korean War medals), I like to collect associated materials (photos, paper, badges etc), which is why I found your display so appealing. However, I agree. The ' extras' add to the cost of collecting (and complicate storage). <BR>Regards Brett

Edited by Brett Hendey

• 11 months later...

I've been trying to amass a few of these "Psy-War" pamphlets too. I've not yet got the safe conduct pass, but I pick them up when I can.

Here are a few of mine:

DSCF1671.jpg

"PEACE" magazine, published by the Chinese People's Volunteers which basically consists of short articles and cuttings taken from western newspapers about anti-war demonstrations, protests and the like. There's a rather disturbing letter from a POW on the back.

DSCF1656.jpg

DSCF1657.jpg

A few Korean language ones - I've not yet had them translated and the red one may be either Northern or Southern (if anyone could help I'd be much obliged)

Finally, my 'favourite'. This is an Xmas card dropped, I believe, in the lines oposite the Commonwealth soldiers who would pick them up. Inside the card (which is signed off by the Chinese and North Korean forces) is a type-written note especially for UK forces:

DSCF1659.jpg

DSCF1658.jpg

and inside:

DSCF1660.jpg

Truely a piece of history.

B-P

To my knowledge these ribbons with the ying/yang symbol were originally not intended to be used in combination with the medal, but for the ribbon bar only. The intended ribbon for wear with the medal (without the ying/yang) is very hard to find and thus, when the original ribbon was worn out, the other ribbon with the ying/yang is used as a replacement.

Edited by Odulf

I believed that the Ying/Yang symbol were originally intended to be little badges on the medal ribbon, but often fell off which is why later versions have ribbons with the design woven in?

BP

Bp

Thank you for the information.

Bob

• 10 months later...
    • 3 years later...
    • 9 months later...

This is my small collection of Korean War medals, two surrender leaflets and a Honor Guard hat badge from unknown date.

I have a question on the R.O.K. Korean War Service Medal. This was one of the first medals to come out and it has the yin and yang symbol on the medal ribbon whereas the medals you see now do not have this on the ribbon. Does anyone know anything about this?

Bob

korean.jpg

Bob,

I recently found this very scholarly write up on the medal your post refers to.  The author has gone to the source and seems to have resolved your question in his article.

http://home.earthlink.net/~kwsm/ 

Regards,

Gordon

• 2 months later...

Gordon,

Thank you for taking the time to post this information. It clears up my question

on the Korean War Service Medal plus other information I didn't know.

Bob