News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Bavarian Leib Regt. shoulderboards

Gentlemen,

Can someone describe what the Bavarian Leib Regiment's shoulderboards would have looked like in 1918? Besides being feldgrau, what color would the piping be and would it have had a crown as in pre-war regulations? If so, what color was it? Two last questions, would the other ranks still be wearing the Garde collar lace that late in the war? Was the Edelweiss distinction on their caps (for being part of the Alpenkorps) have been metal or embroidered (and what did it look like)? Thanks.

All the best,

Jay

Jaybo,

The prewar style crown continued to be used up until the new 1916 pattern uniforms and shoulder straps were introduced for Bavarian troops. At that time the size of the crown was reduced for wear on the new narrower straps. I have included a scan that shows the earlier crown (on a 1915 simplified strap) beside a M16 strap with the smaller crown. You will notice how both straps are unfinished on the bottom end as they were intended to be sewn into the shoulder seam.

The regiment would still have collar Litzen in 1918, but they would be the shortened variety, sewn directly to the collar (no backing tabs). All sorts of Edelweiß were worn. In period photos you see many styles. For the most part, they are metal with pins on the back and with rare exception, no stem to the flower.

Chip

Edited by Chip

Hi Chip,

Thanks for the your excellent reply. You seem to be quite knowledgeable in this arena. Another question if I may. I have the deathcard and medals to a member of this regiment. I'm looking to frame them with some other 'stuff' of this regiment. Are originals of the shoulderstraps and edelweiss insignia nearly impossible to come by? I have been searching on e-bay for sometime with nill results. Are there good repros being done to your knowledge? Any insight that you can provde would be helpful.

All the best,

Jay

Jaybo,

Because so many types of Edelweiß were used, you could find some sort eventually on German Ebay. I just missed one today myself that I was bidding on. It sold for about 35 Euro, so not cheap. The straps are very difficult to find. I have been collecting straps for over 40 years and these two represent 2/3rds of what I have found. The prewar red straps show up from time to time, but the wartime ones are really tough.

I know there is a group of reenactors that portray this regiment. You might try to find them on-line and see where they get their uniforms and straps. I can't recall if it is a German group or an American one.

Good luck,

Chip

You seem to be quite knowledgeable in this arena.

Chip is definitely "da man!" I wish I knew half of what Chip knows... :catjava:

PS: I hear ya about "just" missing one on eBay; I was 2 d*mn bucks short of my first Fuss-Artillerie strap this weekend.:speechless:

You seem to be quite knowledgeable in this arena.PS: I hear ya about "just" missing one on eBay; I was 2 d*mn bucks short of my first Fuss-Artillerie strap this weekend.:speechless:

IG,

Sometimes I wish I knew half of what I know! :whistle:

There was a nice pair of M15 foot artillery straps for sale on the Feldgrau forum today. The seller wanted 70 Euro, which today is a really fair price. If you are a fan of the foot artillery, here are a few more of their shoulder insignia.

Chip

Edited by Chip

Hi Chip,

Thanks for the your excellent reply. You seem to be quite knowledgeable in this arena. Another question if I may. I have the deathcard and medals to a member of this regiment. I'm looking to frame them with some other 'stuff' of this regiment. Are originals of the shoulderstraps and edelweiss insignia nearly impossible to come by? I have been searching on e-bay for sometime with nill results. Are there good repros being done to your knowledge? Any insight that you can provde would be helpful.

All the best,

Jay

Hi Chip,

Thanks for your help...it has been helpful. That looks like white piping on the later shoulderstrap? I have already been in contact with one of the guys in that Leib Regt. re-enactor group in the UK. We shall see re the Lutzen & straps.

All the best,

Jay

Hi Chip,

Thanks for your help...it has been helpful. That looks like white piping on the later shoulderstrap? I have already been in contact with one of the guys in that Leib Regt. re-enactor group in the UK. We shall see re the Lutzen & straps.

All the best,

Jay

Yes, that's white piping.

Chip