News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Baden Leib-Grenadier Nr. 109 or Baden RIR 109 1-yr Vollunteer Tunic?

Gents

Today I received a very special item to my collection and my first tunic. It is a Pre-war Dunkelblau tunic of BGL 109 or RIR 109. I am thinking that it is Baden LG 109 since my book does not show his name in it. The owner's name is Manfred von Hohenberg. The buttons on the tunic have the number 8 on it meaning that this gentleman was initially in Kompanie 8 or one of the two regiments. Tunic also has some moth damage, but it's in good hands now.

Does anybody have any information on this gentleman? "von" isn in his name probably means that he is some gentleman of nobility; I am assuming. Here are some picture of the tunic that I have hanging up on my wall until I can get a stand to display it. He did survive the war.

v/r

ostprussenmann

Edited by ostprussenmann

Badisches Leib-Grenadier-Regiment Nr.109 (not RIR109)

Thanks HArdy for clearing it up.

I thought so. I am still happy with it. It is the closest that I can get to having an original uniform for now. It would be great to find a RIR 109 tunic. Do you have any information on the gentleman?

Jason

I did a quick check in the Ehren Rangliste, thinking he might have become an officer during the war, but there was only one Lt.Hohenberg and there was no "von" in his name. Besides, this one was killed in the Chapitre Wald (Verdun battles of 1916).

Chip

I did a quick check in the Ehren Rangliste, thinking he might have become an officer during the war, but there was only one Lt.Hohenberg and there was no "von" in his name. Besides, this one was killed in the Chapitre Wald (Verdun battles of 1916).

Chip

Thanks Chip. I wonder if there is anything out there to find out. Was his name Manfred? The quick story behind the tunic is that a friend of mine is a large Baden collector of BLG 109 and RIR 109 items. He still owns the picklehaube. The tunic was given to my friend's father from a gentleman in Germany whose father was Manfred von Hohenberg. The gentleman sold the tunic to pay for soemthing else. I know the owner of the tunic is from around the Baden area. I looked up the name Hohenberg last night and the name is of Austrian nobility. I don't know anything else. My friend here in the US bought the tunic for me. I would love to find out anything about the man. I guess it may take awhile. In the Ehren Rangliste, was the gentleman that you found in Baden Leib Grenadier Regiment 109?

~Jason

Jason,

The man I found was in the Füsilier Regiment Nr.34, a Prussian unit and apparently he was in I.R.358, when he was killed. The Garde Ersatz Division, which the 358th was in, lost 50% of its infantry while it was in the Verdun sector during the summer of 1916.

Chip

• 3 weeks later...

Jason

The Füsiler-Regiment Nr. 34 Leutnant was Kurt Hohenberg. I have come across no officer of the name of Manfred von Hohenberg either regular or reserve in LGR. 109. He is not listed in the Offizier-Stammliste published in 1925 or the officers's association list dated 1936.

There were regular officers in the regiment named Freiherren von Meyern-Hohenberg of which only Gustav-Erich was a prewar regular of the right age group. He however was a Fahnenjunker and not an einjährig-Freiwilliger.

There is, of course the possibility that the owner of your tunic was never commissioned.

Regards

Glenn

Jason

The Füsiler-Regiment Nr. 34 Leutnant was Kurt Hohenberg. I have come across no officer of the name of Manfred von Hohenberg either regular or reserve in LGR. 109. He is not listed in the Offizier-Stammliste published in 1925 or the officers's association list dated 1936.

There were regular officers in the regiment named Freiherren von Meyern-Hohenberg of which only Gustav-Erich was a prewar regular of the right age group. He however was a Fahnenjunker and not an einjährig-Freiwilliger.

There is, of course the possibility that the owner of your tunic was never commissioned.

Regards

Glenn

Glenn

I am going to have to agree with you. Maybe he just served one year and was out. Thanks. There are some other officers that I would like to look up too from either regiment. Are there any electronic copies out there of Baden Rangliste or Officer Associations? Thanks everyone for the help.

Jason