News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Kingdom of Afghanistan Orders

drclaw

Folks, I'm interested in collecting these - mainly because of an interest in Islamic orders, and also because of the elegant simplicity and beauty of the Afghan orders.

I've tried to familiarise myself with the on-line sources, including the OMSA database and Megan Robertson's site. Other than these, there appears to be limited information available on-line on these orders.

I'd be grateful for any pointers that people might have. E.g. what to look out for, whether fakes are a concern in relation to Afghan Kingdom orders, etc.

Gavin

Reliable information on this topic is scarce, as you've learned. Several people did pioneering research on Royal Afghan awards, including A.A. Miller in the 1950s as well as Ed Haynes & Gustav Tammann in the 1990s. Miller wrote a couple of articles that appeared in "The Medal Collector" {OMSA} in the mid-1950s. Believe that Ed had a rather extensive page on his former website [iEPE] & that Gustav worked on a manuscript for several years. Over the years, there may have been a write-up or two in the British OMRS Journal as well, most probably on the Order of the Doranee Empire and perhaps on post-1919 instituted awards. Do not know where one could obtain copies of these works.

Other than copy Order of the Doranee Empire pieces [including some made in Spain or Germany in the 1970-80s], generally speaking fakes are not an issue. Certainly, the former king awarded decorations {at least, the Order of the Sun and Order of the Star} while in his Italian exile--most such honorees obtained their insignia either on the collectors' market or from a Spanish or German maker. Possibly manufacturers' stocks came onto the collector market. Whether these pieces are original, non-official, or fakes depends upon your personal view.

Edited by 922F

Reliable information on this topic is scarce, as you've learned. Several people did pioneering research on Royal Afghan awards, including A.A. Miller in the 1950s as well as Ed Haynes & Gustav Tammann in the 1990s. Miller wrote a couple of articles that appeared in "The Medal Collector" {OMSA} in the mid-1950s. Believe that Ed had a rather extensive page on his former website [iEPE] & that Gustav worked on a manuscript for several years. Over the years, there may have been a write-up or two in the British OMRS Journal as well, most probably on the Order of the Doranee Empire and perhaps on post-1919 instituted awards. Do not know where one could obtain copies of these works.

Other than copy Order of the Doranee Empire pieces [including some made in Spain or Germany in the 1970-80s], generally speaking fakes are not an issue. Certainly, the former king awarded decorations {at least, the Order of the Sun and Order of the Star} while in his Italian exile--most such honorees obtained their insignia either on the collectors' market or from a Spanish or German maker. Possibly manufacturers' stocks came onto the collector market. Whether these pieces are original, non-official, or fakes depends upon your personal view.

Ah mysterious blank post which turns up when GMIC gets flaky and you give up.

Re the awards of Afghanistan probably the best available reference is the Tammann Collection UBS Basel Auction 80 which had over 100 lots of Afghani ODM and is probably the most comprehensive collection formed. I have found it immensely useful.

If you cannot get hold of a copy I have a spare which I will happily send gratis PM me if required.

All the best,

Paul

Thanks guys, that's very helpful and much appreciated. Another forum member has also suggested the website 'SA Gongs' which I'm in the process of joining.

Paul, if you are happy to part with the catalogue I'll be grateful to receive it. Will send you a PM to arrange a mutual trade.

Gavin

Thanks guys, that's very helpful and much appreciated. Another forum member has also suggested the website 'SA Gongs' which I'm in the process of joining.

Paul, if you are happy to part with the catalogue I'll be grateful to receive it. Will send you a PM to arrange a mutual trade.

Gavin

Gavin as a long time member of SA gongs it is well worth joining. Although we are few there is a very large amount combined knowledge and there is an Afghan section.

but beware madness lies along this road.

All the best,

Paul

Thanks Paul, it looks like a fantastic forum but I'm having some problems being validated by the site. Will send a note to the administrator.

As for madness, I've already been consumed by Japanese and Ottoman orders.

But all the best people I know are a little bit mad in some way, so one more mania might be a good thing.

Gavin