What you think about this medal and clasp

Hi all,

Here is Baden Military Field Service decoration with the clasp 1870-1871. What you Baden experts think - is the medal and clasp period ones? Also who's maker mark was "R" under the Baden shield?

Thanks in advance,

Timo

17851119df7ef6_l.jpg

clasp "1870-1871" close up:

1785112155edee_l.jpg

Hi all,

Here is Baden Military Field Service decoration with the clasp 1870-1871. What you Baden experts think - is the medal and clasp period ones? Also who's maker mark was "R" under the Baden shield?

Thanks in advance,

Timo

17851119df7ef6_l.jpg

clasp "1870-1871" close up:

1785112155edee_l.jpg

Hello Timo;

I'm not one of the Baden experts but I've owned one of these medals in the past. Two things on the period-made pieces, the medal itself is heavy, quite dense. Secondly, the relief on the wreath is outstanding. You have the medal in your hands....does it have a good heft? Are the details on the leaves good? They look good. I think you have a good one. I can't be so sure about the clasp.

Thanks for your replay. I am pretty sure that the medal is good. I had very nice example before as well and this one feels exact same. But haven't had clasps before, so this part I am more curious.

Regards,

Timo

No idea if any "Kachel" made WW1 iron crosses, but it was probably not the Karlsruhe mint master who died in 1878.

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ludwig_Kachel

He's buried (here) in Karlsruhe, next to his son-in-law Christian Schnitzspahn, another famous die cutter/mint master.