News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

P.A.M.S. button 1940s era

Here is a nice little lapel button to the Police Auxilliary Messenger Service or P.A.M.S. The 20 X 30 mm button was made by Fattorini & Sons Ltd. Bradford Works, Birmingham and is numbered 106 on the back. The device that goes through the button hole is twisted somewhat otherwise this badge is in excellent condition. Since many forces employed the services of the P.A.M.S.s I have taken an excerpt from the Staffordshire Police 150 Anniversary Commemorative Magazine printed in 1992 as a brief history of the P.A.M.S. since it should be generic to all Police Services of the time.

During the Second World War young men aged between 16 and 20 were recruited into the Police Auxilliary Messenger Service (P.A.M.S.) which was the forerunner of the present day Cadet Service. They were issued with a uniform and performed such jobs as clerks, telephonists and messengers.

The years following the end of the war saw the P.A.M.S. renamed as the Police Cadets and, although they received little training, they continued to be employed at Police Stations. The first course providing training for Police Cadets was held in 1960. It was ten weeks long and sought to improve confidence, to continue their education and also to teach new skills such as first aid, swimming and life saving.

Today Police Cadets follow a two year training programme at Headquarters followed by an attachment at an operational police station. Although training is now over a much longer period, the aims of thirty years ago [sic] remain the same - which are to provide the confidence, maturity and ability required of a police officer.

Edited by Brian Wolfe

The paid Police Cadet service you refer to was disbanded some years ago in the 1990s in England and Wales but I think it still operates in Scotland. The Metropolitan Police by contrast now has Volunteer Police Cadets, which are more like the Army/Air/Sea Cadets which is a voluntary uniformed youth organisation open to 14 year to 19 year olds

The Cadets were a fantastic unit and in my opinion the police should never had got rid of them. You only have to look at how many of them reached high rank to see how good they were. The volunteers are a worthy group but I wonder how many carry on in joining the regulars.

craig

• 3 weeks later...

I have a correction to make. :blush:

The Staffordshire Police Service P.A.M.S. had their own button with the Staffordshire knot on a blue back ground.

When the day comes that I find one I'll post it.

Sorry for the error, I should have known better.

Regards

Brian

I have a correction to make. :blush:

The Staffordshire Police Service P.A.M.S. had their own button with the Staffordshire knot on a blue back ground.

When the day comes that I find one I'll post it.

Sorry for the error, I should have known better.

Regards

Brian

Hi Brian, Staffordshire issued a full set of WW11 lapel badges. SC, PR, PAMS & WAPC Ian

Hi Brian, Staffordshire issued a full set of WW11 lapel badges. SC, PR, PAMS & WAPC Ian

Hi Ian,

I really don't know what I was thinking as I know better.

Examaples of the SC and the PR badges are presently in my collection.

Oh well, I guess my error won't bring the collecting world crashing down around us. ;)

Regards

Brian

• 1 month later...

Hi Ian,

I really don't know what I was thinking as I know better.

Examaples of the SC and the PR badges are presently in my collection.

Oh well, I guess my error won't bring the collecting world crashing down around us. ;)

Regards

Brian

Brian

These are PAMS I have there may be others, if so I have not seen them. I only know that I am looking for 1 more Bedford 1 more WAPC and at least 1 PAMS cap badge out bid on ebay last week.

Only problem I have is not being able to place the unnamed ones with a force.

Alan