News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

One of the nicest medals

Brian Wolfe

Hello Everyone,

Once in a while you see something that, while it may not be complete, you just can't resist adding it to your collection just because it is so darn nice looking.

This Red Cross Society Corporate Merit Medal should have been mounted in a frame with a ribbon bow for presentation but for some reason it either escaped or was the survivor of an accident involving the original framed award. Perhaps it was part of a surplus stock left over when they stopped awarding the mounted medal in favour of a plaque, it's anyone's quess. This is silver and it has two tabs on the reverse that would have affixed it to the backing of the mount.

So why purchase it? I think just looking at the photos will answer that. Such nice detail.

I hope you like it.

Regards

Brian

I've been eyeing a few of these on Yahoo Japan auctions.

Certainly one of the most elegant ODM around with the dove (?) of peace flanked by bay (?) leaves.

There is a framed one of these with case on Yahoo! Japan right now - been there for a long, long time, no takers at 6,000 yen! I haven't really looked at the pics. closely so not sure of the condition. It is missing the lapel pin, but most of them are, so I wouldn't let that stop me from buying it. They are not at all common, so I'm a bit puzzled by the lack of action on it.

Anyway, Brian, a very nice stand-alone piece nonetheless! beer.gif

There is a framed one of these with case on Yahoo! Japan right now - been there for a long, long time, no takers at 6,000 yen! I haven't really looked at the pics. closely so not sure of the condition. It is missing the lapel pin, but most of them are, so I wouldn't let that stop me from buying it. They are not at all common, so I'm a bit puzzled by the lack of action on it.

Anyway, Brian, a very nice stand-alone piece nonetheless! beer.gif

Many thanks.

I have some items coming from Japan at the moment and I have promissed to behave myself (spending) otherwise I would be all over the framed specimen. Too many great medals so little money. :rolleyes:

Regards

Brian

I've been eyeing a few of these on Yahoo Japan auctions.

Certainly one of the most elegant ODM around with the dove (?) of peace flanked by bay (?) leaves.

It is a Ho-O Bird surrounded by wisteria and pawlonia leaves. The design allegedly came from an incident when the wife of the Meiji Emperor was asked to suggest a symbol for the newly formed Japanese Red Cross. She took out a jewelled hair pin from her hair and suggested that the design of the pin be used. It was a Ho-O Bird (similar to a phoenix and a symbol of royalty in Japan).

Thanks for that explanation Paul. What an fascinating story!

It's interesting how closely it resembles a dove of peace descending from the sky. Perhaps there are motifs common across different cultures after all.

I have some items coming from Japan at the moment and I have promissed to behave myself (spending) otherwise I would be all over the framed specimen. Too many great medals so little money. :rolleyes:

Regards

Brian

Ha! How many times have I made the same promise myself....famous last words, it's so hard to be good!! laugh.gifwink.gifbiggrin.gif