News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

SAS Sergeant K Sturmey's 8th Army Medal

I am researching Sgt Ken Sturmey who served in the 1st SAS Battalion during the 2nd World War and have been shown by his Daughter a bronze medal without ribbon with 8th Army and a representation of Vesuvius which I think may have been awarded for an Italian campaign. The significant battle that the regiment then called the Special Raiding Squadron was involved in was the Battle of Termoli where a landing behind German lines was achieved and a fierce battle ensued. I've attached an image of the medal in the hope that anyone can confirm what it was awarded for. Unfortunately I didn't photograph the other side of the medal.

Hi - Gordy . Welcome to the Forum. I think that you will find this is a 'private' medallion - perhaps made for the unit or, some of the members. I haven't seen one before. With regard to the volcano - you right - it does look like Vesuvius.

Edited by Mervyn Mitton

There are several variations of this medal, but you will most commonly find them with inscriptions for 5th Army (US) and 8th Army (British). They were not awards, but souvenirs of the entry into Rome by the allied armies in June 1944. They were sold by some enterprising entrepreneurs who knew that soldiers would buy almost anything to keep as a souvenir of their service or to send home to their mother, wife or girlfriend (perhaps all three).

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Gents. It certainly seems that it was to commemorate the liberation of Naples in 1943. This ties in nicely as Ken was involved with the Special Raiding Squadron's landing at Termoli just north of Naples in 1943 where he was wounded in action.

• 1 year later...