News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hero of the German Democratic Republic

Ehrentitel Held der DDR

Instituted 28 October 1975 and awarded for extraordinary achievements and contributions through heroic deeds for the GDR, which have developed and strengthened the nation, promoted its international recognition and authority and to secure its military protection. It's always worn entire.

This is the 2nd Type (1976-87):

[Picture credit: Auktionhaus Andreas Thies]

Really spectacular...any details on awardees living? Also, have you ever seen a Type 1 star?

Tony

Edited by Sal

Really spectacular...any details on awardees living? Also, have you ever seen a Type 1 star?

Tony

Sigmund Jähn the East German Cosmonaut is still alive.

a). The 1975 version, gilted without Diamonds

b). 1976 - 1987 version, Gold (333) with Diamonds ( Eight 0.1 karat).

c). And a third and fourth gilted silver or bronze version, these are wearers copys or sample specimens.

When it was instituted in 1976 the Titel was called just "Medal" and from 1978 the "Gold star medal"

The earlier holders were all awarded the later version too

All forms of this Medal including the wearers copies came from the same press.

Holders had to wear the award at all times.

Regards Eddie

Actually there is a Type 1 in the latest Auktionhaus Andreas Thies catalogue, but Andreas has requested that he be asked about every image I wish to use individually... it's on the list I am putting together of East German material I want to request permission to use :)

Hi Gordon,

here we have two different decorations:

Held der Deutschen Demokratischen Republik (Hero of the German Democratic Republic), instituted in 1975, Bartel No. 104

Held der Arbeit (Hero of Labor), instituted in 1950, design change in 1954, Bartel No. 53

Feder doesn't write anything about the Hero of Labor.

About what do you want to talk (write) here?

Uwe

Edited by speedytop