News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

• Replies 81
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I used to have the full set years ago, but sold them off in a fit of stupidity when a new guitar was offered to me! I've only got the silver one to get so I'e got them all back again! Here's my black one to start with....

cheers Jason

• 2 months later...

I thought I'd revive this thread and add the two that I have in my collection. My understanding is that the DRGM catch was a late war economy measure as it used less material. You don't see them all that often and I've been looking, for a couple of years now, to find one in gold to complete the set...any one seen any?

Edited by Geoff Reeves

Geoff,

Although I have nothing to back it up, a German collector suggested to me that the DRGM (patented) catch indicated that the badge was made after 1918.

Given that the badge was only instituted in mid-1918, I wouldn't be surpised if very many of the actual badges were issued well after the end of hostilities. It is not unusual to see wound badge award documents dated in the 1930s.

Does the Hammelmann book on wound badges indicate when these types were made?

Cheers,

David

Hi David: that's very interesting, I had not heard that. I had only heard that they were late-war economy issues, but post-war economy would make sense too - in fact given the economy of the Weimar Republic that might make more sense. It would be nice if someone had some documentary evidence to back either theory up.

Thanks again for the response!

Geoff

Guest Rick Research

I can't date the DRGM variety, but I never saw one until several years ago and I've been collecting for 40 years so RARE and certainly unusual they are.

Indeed, the Matt Weiss that Geoff has posted above is the first and only non- Black that I have ever seen! cheers.gif

I am much obliged for the one--and only--one I've ever had!

[attachmentid=8512]

hmmm, that was from my OLD scanner, with the icky red stripe. Will have to re-do! Close up:

[attachmentid=8513]

Guest Rick Research

From cheap to... swanky.

Real silver ones:

[attachmentid=8514]

This is the British sterling standard, 925, a finesnees often found for snob appeal in the 1920s-30s

[attachmentid=8515]

Guest Rick Research

The "popsicle stick" real silver variety is detectable in period photos (1930s is the earliest I have seen these) because the pin looks like a third sword in such photographs! Cat Scratch.gif

[attachmentid=8516]

Marked 800

[attachmentid=8517]

Guest Rick Research

I'm glad to see some new documents here from Tom:

The Brussels one is quite interesting as a "unit," signed by char. Generalleutnant aD Alfred Anton Georg Ludwig Graf von Soden (1866-1943).

Leutnant dR Ludwig Weiss of Bavarian Infantry Regiment 4 was commissioned after the spring of 1916, since he's not in the Secret List of about April. Signed by the aptly named char. Oberstleutnant aD Otto Killermann (1872- ). And saaaay, doesn't that document look familiar?

[attachmentid=8518]

Oberj?ger (= Unteroffizier in J?ger units in Imperial ranks) August Jaugitz of the 1st Bicycle Company, J?ger Battalion 9 had HIS document thanks to the clever marketing of the very same printer-- must have been a scary job as their salesman, though! cheeky.gif

[attachmentid=8519]

Guest Rick Research

But even the "gods of war" were mortal men.

Then Bavarian General Staff Oberstleutnant Hermann Ritter von Lenz (23 June 1872- 20 December 1959) had received Bavaria's highest award for bravery and personal nobility as "Ritter von" with the Knight's Cross of the Military Max Joseph Order (9 April 1917), AND Prussia's Pour le Merite (10 August 1918), when a nearly fatal bit of carelessness at the front led to him being shot in the head by a sniper on 2 October 1918. It was his only wound.

[attachmentid=8521]

[attachmentid=8522]

Oberst Ritter von Lenz was discharged from the Reichsheer on 20 May 1921 as a result of this wound. He was a co-leader of the royalist and separatist (NOT pro-Nazi) Bavarian section of the Stahlhelmbund in the 1920s, being ousted in 1933. Given 25th anniversary of WW1 rank as char. Generalmajor aD on 2 August 1939 as a PLM holder, after WW2 Ritter von Lenz co-founded the Deutsche Soldatenbund in Bavaria.

Rick: thanks for the comments - I knew they were uncommon but wasn't prepared to call them rare. But I do not have NEAR the experience that you do, and as you say, you haven't seen that many. Maybe the gold variety were never produced? I'll keep my eyes peeled until someone tells me otherwise. By the way, LOVE those real silver pieces, very very attractive woundbadges - thanks for posting them.

beer.gif

Edited by Geoff Reeves

Guest Rick Research

Photo in wear interlude:

Since the bulk of army wound badges were only handed out from June 1918 on, it is often difficult to find actual wartime photos of them in wear. many were taken safely back home afterwards.

This one was CERTAINLY taken during the war-- the graves registration NCO 3rd from right is wearing a "mattweiss" badge. Notice the rigor mortis stiffened dead cat on the stacked up coffins at far left, waiting their turns to go in mass pits while the "crew" has their picture taken. ohmy.gif

[attachmentid=8528]

Guest Rick Research

Now, my Evil Twin has a photo, from an aviation group formerly in my collection, showing the only WARTIME cut out wound badge (and a Mattweiss, at that) I've ever seen.

This one has nothing written on it at all. Yet, thanks to my Amazing Ricky Powers? and assisted by the invaluable Biblio Verlag Luftwaffe Generals biographies, I know this was

[attachmentid=8534]

Hermann Ritter von Mann Edler von Tiechler (1889-1961). The compound family name is a relic of earlier hereditary titles and nothing to do with WW1 awards bestowing the "Ritter von" title.

This is the loathed Provisional Reichsheer uniform, featuring "string bean" shoulder cords (which do NOT indicate ranks beyond generals, officers, and enlisted men), with cartoon sized collar patchs and ephemeral sleeve ranks-- here, Oberleutnant.

Ritter von Mann was captured by the British on 15 September 1916, as Adjutant of Bavarian Infantry Regiment 14. He was only released from captivity on 5 November 1919, and did not report back for military service until 1 January 1920. He was promoted to Hauptmann 9 January 1920, with retroactive seniority to 27 January 1918, in Provisional Reichsheer Infantry Regiment 48.

But The Amazing Ricky can do better than THAT! His 30th birthday was 3 January 1920, and what do we espy in the dead of winter but... a vase full of BIRTHDAY flowers! jumping.gif Badge dates from November-December 1919, photo taken 3 January 1920.

On 27 April 1920 he transferred to the shortlived Polizeiwehr Bayern, and here he is seated 2nd right of the four Polizei officers:

[attachmentid=8535]

Whether a late EK1 ever came his way, I don't know, since his Luftwaffe generals' series portrait shows him before WW1. He then served in the Bavarian LaPo until 1935, then transferred to the Luftwaffe, final rank Generalleutnant 1 November 1940.

Guest Rick Research

Looking every inch the Hollywood Nazi/Junker in classic monocle and Party functionary lapel eagle with full "white tie" tuxedo "Frack" awards including a cutout 1918 Mattweiss wound badge, this was Hauptmann dL aD Paul Hartlaub's 1938 Christmas card! (Note the 1921 "with Swords" Silesian Eagles, an embellishment officially banned after 1933.)

[attachmentid=8546]