News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Mini Medal Group

Hi all

These are my first British medals.

Mini Medal Group, with BWM, Victory Medal, Red Cross and the Defence Medal (1939)

%2521CFwQrmQCGk%257E%2524%2528KGrHqMOKjs

I like the groups in miniature 2014.gif

all the best

Lambert

Edited by lambert

Very nice Lambert! Congratulations!

Would you mind showing a pic of the reverse as well?

I know very little about British medals so always keen to learn.

Gavin

Gavin

Very nice, Likely to be V.A.D. during the great war.

All the best,

Paul

Hi all

Mini Medal Group, with BWM, Victory Medal, Red Cross and the Defence Medal (1939)

all the best

Lambert

An interesting order of precedence. I'd have thought the Defence Medal would precede the VAD award.

Hugh

Hi all

all the best

Lambert

An interesting order of precedence. I'd have thought the Defence Medal would precede the VAD award.

Hugh

Hugh

Hugh,

I suspect that the group was originally mounted pre WW2 and when he or she received the Defence Medal just decided to have the bar extended with it bunged on the end although you are technically correct the Defence medal should precede the Red Cross medal.

Paul

Interesting little group, thanks for posting them.

I was under the impression that the Red Cross Medal was not to be worn with the war medals but worn alone.

Is this correct, or am I wrong? I know that in a lot of cases the veterans did what they wanted with the order of medals and the choice of what medals were to be worn together.

Perhaps one of the members with more knowledge of the regulations regarding the wearing of the Red Cross Medal will voice an opinion.

Thanks again for posting this group.

Regards

Brian

Interesting little group, thanks for posting them.

I was under the impression that the Red Cross Medal was not to be worn with the war medals but worn alone.

Is this correct, or am I wrong? I know that in a lot of cases the veterans did what they wanted with the order of medals and the choice of what medals were to be worn together.

Perhaps one of the members with more knowledge of the regulations regarding the wearing of the Red Cross Medal will voice an opinion.

Thanks again for posting this group.

Regards

Brian

Brian,

You are correct, with the full-sized they could not be worn on uniform. These were worn by a civilian who unless they went to a Palace reception could wear what they liked. With miniature groups in general many weird and wonderful awards are frequently tagged onto groups.

Paul

Hugh,

I suspect that the group was originally mounted pre WW2 and when he or she received the Defence Medal just decided to have the bar extended with it bunged on the end although you are technically correct the Defence medal should precede the Red Cross medal.

Paul

Yep, that makes perfect sense to me.

H

Brian,

You are correct, with the full-sized they could not be worn on uniform. These were worn by a civilian who unless they went to a Palace reception could wear what they liked. With miniature groups in general many weird and wonderful awards are frequently tagged onto groups.

Paul

I think that this beauty and these groups, the diversity of interesting decorations.

Thanks everyone for the comments.

I do not know yet, the rules for the use of British decorations. I'm learning.

soon, more photos.

Lambert

Gavin

Hello Gavin

As promised, here are some new pictures of the group.

Good holiday everyone!

DSCF4805copy.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Beautiful! They are in pristine condition.

I couldn't help noticing the very interesting case holding the medals. Is there a story behind the case too? Did it come with the group?

Gavin

Beautiful! They are in pristine condition.

I couldn't help noticing the very interesting case holding the medals. Is there a story behind the case too? Did it come with the group?

Gavin

I seem to remember Krementz as a commercial jeweler, not necessarily military. People keep their medals in all sorts of containers. I use one of those toilet kit bags you used to get on the airlines.

Hugh

Hi Gavin end Hugh.

I've seen, medals and sets, stored in boxes for cigars!

I know nothing about the past of the former owner .. is a pity ..

I find it interesting how some veterans was careful with his medals. Even without much money to make a frame or a box of luxury ..

Lambert

Edited by lambert