News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

River fleet tunic id for late 1940's

Hi, I have this white tunic which I rescued from my wifes parents dacha (being used as a paint jacket) it was given to my mother in law in the 80's I guess by a colleague who served in the River Fleet in the late 40's. Can anyone give me any idea if it is meant to have shoulder boards or any type of insignia (the buttons are not correct I kinow) it has no markings I can find, but is made of a good white twill material and seems to be well made, any ideas most welcome.

Cheers

Rex

• 4 weeks later...

That style tunic was used by the navy in the 30's (no shoulder boards) and multiple branches of service from 43 on (with appropriate shoulder boards). It was used by officers and commanders for sure, maybe also by lower ranks. Are there loops for epaulets on the shoulders? What is on the buttons? (Anchor=navy, anchor+crest=post45 admiral or naval general, H&S=any non-navy branch of service, crest=general officer of time period appropriate to number of ribbons on crest.) Hope it helps. They are relatively easy to obtain

This time?

That style tunic was used by the navy in the 30's (no shoulder boards) and multiple branches of service from 43 on (with appropriate shoulder boards). It was used by officers and commanders for sure, maybe also by lower ranks. Are there loops for epaulets on the shoulders? What is on the buttons? (Anchor=navy, anchor+crest=post45 admiral or naval general, H&S=any non-navy branch of service, crest=general officer of time period appropriate to number of ribbons on crest.) Hope it helps. They are relatively easy to obtain

Hi, thank you for the ID. It had no buttons on it when we found it in the Dacha (I'm surprised it had not paint marks on it, after the use it had). It has no loops for the epaulettes so early? Or lower rank? Could it be made a high ranking officer? What would your suggetion be? Really I only have it because of the family connection, I have quite a few naval uniforms, but this one is old and interesting. Any help as always much appreciated.

Cheers

Rex

It looks the outline of rank stripes on each sleeve. Can you make out the silhouette of a small star higher on the sleeve?

Hi, thank you for the ID. It had no buttons on it when we found it in the Dacha (I'm surprised it had not paint marks on it, after the use it had). It has no loops for the epaulettes so early? Or lower rank? Could it be made a high ranking officer? What would your suggetion be? Really I only have it because of the family connection, I have quite a few naval uniforms, but this one is old and interesting. Any help as always much appreciated.

Cheers

Rex

It looks the outline of rank stripes on each sleeve. Can you make out the silhouette of a small star higher on the sleeve?

Hi, Yes I can make out the rank strips on the sleeves now you mention it, but the star not so easy. So assuming that is correct, which I would certainly bow to your expertise, what what the rank be looking like for this period and tunic?

i was looking through the tunics i have of that color (white) and twill fabric and none of them (naval or other services) have the lower pockets. I wonder if you are right that it might have to do the merchant marine fromt the 20's to 40's and that the imprint would correspond to some officer rank. Afraid i can't help more than that

i was looking through the tunics i have of that color (white) and twill fabric and none of them (naval or other services) have the lower pockets. I wonder if you are right that it might have to do the merchant marine fromt the 20's to 40's and that the imprint would correspond to some officer rank. Afraid i can't help more than that

Thanks for helping, anyway it's appreciated!