News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

SAS Jubilee Commemorative Medal

Can anyone identify what this is. I've Googled till I'm mad but can't find any info. It was the possession of Sgt Ken Sturmey who was in the 1st SAS Regiment and is approx. 40mm in diameter and 3mm thick. I presume it was issued on the Jubilee of the Regiment.

Gordy - I don't like to see any question left un-answered - although , I am afraid I can't give you a definitive answer.

Fairly obviously it comemmorates the 5oth Anniversary of the founding of the SAS - however, that does not mean it is a medallion struck for the SAS. Looking at the fairly poor quality of the striking - and the material, which seems to simulate the sand of the desert - I would say a privately made one for sale to militaria collectors. I have not seen one previously and hopefully a member will be be able to tell us more ?

Gordy - I don't like to see any question left un-answered - although , I am afraid I can't give you a definitive answer.

Fairly obviously it comemmorates the 5oth Anniversary of the founding of the SAS - however, that does not mean it is a medallion struck for the SAS. Looking at the fairly poor quality of the striking - and the material, which seems to simulate the sand of the desert - I would say a privately made one for sale to militaria collectors. I have not seen one previously and hopefully a member will be be able to tell us more ?

I kept off commenting as i was not sure... but I agree with MM... for some reason it seems to be more of a Populist style than you would expect for an official regimental keepsake..

Best

Chris

Thanks Mervyn & Chris.

I think you are probably right. Due to reducing the size of the jpegs the quality looks worse than it is but the original article is not smooth but grainy. The trouble is I've probably picked the worse Regiment for finding any official answer as they guard their secrets well but thanks anyway for your time and consideration.

Thanks Mervyn & Chris.

I think you are probably right. Due to reducing the size of the jpegs the quality looks worse than it is but the original article is not smooth but grainy. The trouble is I've probably picked the worse Regiment for finding any official answer as they guard their secrets well but thanks anyway for your time and consideration.

I dunno, there are enough fanatical SAS collectors... it would probably be better documented than a badge to the ASC or NAAFI...

Best

Chris

Saw Chris posting and I held back hoping he'd have an answer.

I too googled and yahooed and tried every trick I knew with the search engines.

I was stumped by the little information was available.

I sas also surprised to see how many un-official SAS fan sites there are, but still I came across nothing that was of any help with this.