News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Chris,

that's what I found in Busche: Formationsgeschichte der deutschen Infanterie im Ersten Weltkrieg 1914-1918

Reserve-Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 98 (+MG.-Komp.)

Aufgestellt in Diedenhofen (Stb., I.,II., III. Btl.)

Unterstellung: Kriegsbesatzung der Festung Metz.

Wechselnde Unterstellung: V. Res.-Korps, 33. Res.-Div.

Kommandeur: Oberstleutnant Kommallein (Inf.-Rgt. Nr.135) gest.: 4.4.18

Bataillonskommandeure: Major Kloebe (Inf.-Rgt. Nr.135),

Hauptmann Heil (Kriegsschule Metz).

Best regards,

Jens

RIR 98 started out the war as part of Festungsdivision Metz AKA Hauptreserve Metz, which became 33. Res.-Div. The regiment seems to have moved around a lot though. David Gregory has a page for an Oskar Körner who served in the regiment part of the war. He has RIR 98 as part of 9. Res.-Div. at least up to December 1915 and in 10. Res.-Div. in 1916.

RIR 98 started out the war as part of Festungsdivision Metz AKA Hauptreserve Metz, which became 33. Res.-Div. The regiment seems to have moved around a lot though. David Gregory has a page for an Oskar Körner who served in the regiment part of the war. He has RIR 98 as part of 9. Res.-Div. at least up to December 1915 and in 10. Res.-Div. in 1916.

Hi,

I am guessing they pushed them around to fill gaps, hard unit to pin down indeed!

Thanks for the input guys

Hallo Chris,

here are the dates of RIR 98:

1.8.1914 - 9.9.1914 Hauptreserve Metz

10.9.1914 - 14.3.1916: 10. RID, 18. RIB

15.3.1916 - 6.9.1916: 9. RID, 18. RIB

7.9.1916 - 2.1.1917: 212. ID, 57. IB

3.1.1917 - 11.11.1918: 207. ID, 89. RIB

Best regards

Uwe

• 2 months later...

Hi Uwe,

magic, thanks..

Its astounding that 3 other reference books did not nail this unit!!

Hi Chris,

I have had the same problems to research this unit. In my collection is the group of the company leader of the 11th company of RIR 98, Hptm. d. L. Hans List (he was the company leader at least until the end of 1916). Unfortunately I can give you only two additional informations next to the informations above:

The regimental commander was Oberst Kommallein

and the unit was on Hill 349 at July 1915 (because his EK doc. is accordingly inscripted)

Best regards,

Matthias

attached you can find the medal bar of Hans List (he was from principality Hohenzollern)

Chris,

The wife's grandad was in RIR 98, I have the unit history in the cellar so will have flick through to see if I can find anything. His Militaerpass is also down there somewhere so I check that too for any RD stamps.

They'll probably confirm Uwe's reply though.

Tony

Edited by Tony

Chris,

The wife's grandad was in RIR 98, I have the unit history in the cellar so will have flick through to see if I can find anything. His Militaerpass is also down there somewhere so I check that too for any RD stamps.

They'll probably confirm Uwe's reply though.

Tony

Hi Tony,

please, please have a look in your cellar!! I have searched for this unit history for a long time but with no result. From the substantial work of E. Mohr "Bibliographie zur Heeres- und Truppengeschichte des Deutschen Reiches und seiner Länder 1806 -1933" I have learned that no unit history of RIR 98 is existing...if there is something like a unit history of RIR 98 in your cellar this would be very interesting (for me at any rate)!

Thanks for looking

Matthias