News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Collecting the WW1 EK...

I think the "WW1 EK and "stuff"" is probably the biggest and most interersting collecting field there is.

1) The variations of the cross itself are waaaay nore then the WW2 kind... and the fine features make then so much nicer

but more than that

2) The huuuge variety of WW1 Documents, print variations, associated paper work... leaves WW2 in the dust

and not to forget

3) All the "Stuff"... for some reason it never took off in WW2... coffee cups, beer mugs, postcards, banners, bunting, jewellery, cigarette cases, ..... there is an endless array of "stuff" that is EK related.

If you cannot afford to collect EK1s, then there are postcards... or EKs on copper driving band broches...

There is "something for everyone" in the field...

What is YOUR main EK interest?

Chris,

I am not a "medal guy", but I love the documents. Not only are they interesting from a military history perspective, but many of them display the outstanding graphics of the period. The artwork of this period 1890-1918 very unique, with it's mixture of "Jugendstil" and patriotic themes. Priceless.

Chip

Now let's see, I have:

postcards

loads of 1st and 2nd class crosses with and without their issue boxes, a few of them named

trench art (driving band bracelets, lockets containing photos and a lock of hair, driving band letter openers, letter openers from shell splinters)

an old jam tin

paperweight

some, well only a few documents

allied propaganda crosses

and much more

Saying all that, I haven't bought anything iron cross for a very long time.

Does anyone have an original piece of canvas from an aeroplane showing the cross?

Tony

I am currently on the hunt for my 1st WWI EK!

Im struggling however, as I cant seem to find one that flicks my switch and there are so many variations im a little lost - any pointers for what I should be looking for?

Dan

Dan,

If you're not sure which type you want just buy the first one you like, then another, then another and then another ;)

There are so many different kinds although I'd say the KO marked crosses are far more common. I like the between the wars issues, some are made with copper (I think) cores but most are steel.

There are of course the expensive pillow back crosses and those with hook attachments but it wouldn't surprise me if they're faked so you have to know what you're looking for.

I think my favourite striking is marked LV, it's actually a 2nd class and I think my best 1st class strike just has a square mark on it. It's in great condition with its case and cardboard box but unfortunately I can't read the name as it's too faded.

Tony

"What is your main EK interest??"

ALL OF IT!!!!

nail on the head, there is so dramatically more

"stuff", and so much variation in the inventory-

not to mention quality of manufacturer....

the least of my imperial medal bars so far outshines

the standard TR issues - it was an artform.

the switch from TR to imperial was perhaps the

sanest step i've taken!!

joe

• 1 year later...

Does anyone else think, once anything post WW1 is added, a bar is "Defiled" ?

I know the counter argument, its the way it was worn, it is what the vet wanted, it is waht it is etc. etc...

But really like bars as they were before any of the association, veteran or 3rd Reich stuff was added

I actually like the Weimar era bars. When I see a guy with an EK2 and 5-6 veterans commemoratives I wonder what was going thru his mind and the minds of those with just their real awards on their chests.

• 4 weeks later...

Stupid question... Given the plethora of EKs... Are they always maker marked?

I am not an EK "expert" - my first ones were bought in the 80's and have been in a box for years. Recently, got a bar with an EK2 and had the inclination to look for a mark and didn't see one... (Yea, I know scan a photo... :rolleyes: )