The badge on the forage cap would appear to be that described as "Garrison Staff" in plate 46 of the 1900 Dress Regulations, that is, the royal cypher surmounted by a crown. I know that the DRs refer to officers but this is a senior NCO, a law unto themselves.

The collar and cuffs were of "blue cloth."

OK, just did some more checking and Garrison Staff on temporary appointment could continue to wear the uniform of the unit from which they came. I don't know about the collar badges though.

Inspectors of Army Schools also had the royal cypher surmounted by the crown but their forage cap had a gold lace band with a light blue stripe to its centre.

Stuart

Edited by Stuart Bates

The badge on the forage cap would appear to be that described as "Garrison Staff" in plate 47 of the 1900 Dress Regulations, that is, the royal cypher surmounted by a crown. I know that the DRs refer to officers but this is a senior NCO, a law unto themselves.

The collar and cuffs were of "blue cloth."

OK, just did some more checking and Garrison Staff on temporary appointment could continue to wear the uniform of the unit from which they came. I don't know about the collar badges though.

Inspectors of Army Schools also had the royal cypher surmounted by the crown but their forage cap had a gold lace band with a light blue stripe to its centre.

Stuart

Hi Stuart,

Thanks a lot for that.