News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

REPUBLIC OF DAHOMEY-REPUBLIC OF BENIN ORDER & MEDAL

heusy68

Hello Gentlemen,here I will introduce the country Dahomey which after the coup d'etat of 1972 became the Popular Republic of Benin,which change again of name in 1991 for Republic of Benin.

The highest Order of this country "The National Order" reflects in its modification,the different type of regime of this country.

The National Order of Dahomey was instituted by Law N°60-26 of 21 July 1960 (modificated by Law N°62-14 of 25 February 1962 & by Law 65-29 of 14 August 1965).

It is a 5 classes Order + Grand Master Collar.

On obverse is the seal of the state and on reverse of badge is the country's motto "Fraternité Justice Travail" & "Republique du Dahomey 1960"

Here you can see the breast star of Grand Officer awarded to Maurice Couve de Murville in 1962 (Minister of Foreign Affair of France from 1958 till 1968 and Prime Minister from 1968 till 1969)

Emmanuel

Edited by heusy68

In 1972 Mathieu Kérékou made a Coup d'Etat and Dahmey changes name for Popular Republic of Benin.

The National Order of Dahomey became then National Order of Popular Republic of Benin.The structure remained the same and member of the former National Order of Dahomey got the right to keep and wear the old insignia,but may get the new insignia if requested.

There is a reference Law N°86-010 from 26 February 1986,with modification by Law N°87-017 of 21 September 1987.

Emmanuel

Edited by heusy68

In 1991after the fall of the communism in Europe the marxist regime of Popular Republic of Benin was suddently without any backing from former Soviet Union.

A National Conference was organised in 1990-91 and the country again changed name for Republic of Benin.

Again the National Order slightly changed.The motto "Fraternité Justice Travail" is now on the obverse side of the badge as the name of the country "Republic of Benin".

During the summer of 2010 there was a special exhibition in Paris in the Legion of Honour Museum,at the occasion of the 50th birthday of Independence of former african colonies of France.On that exhibition were displayed Grand Cross set of highest Order of each of these countries including a Grand Cross of the National Order of the Republic of Benin.

Karim da Silva is the Grand Chancellier of the National Order of Benin (article in french).

http://www.lanouvell...tique&Itemid=65

Emmanuel

Edited by heusy68

Here you can see a picture of General Siaka Sangare of the Army of Republic of Mali.He's wearing a Knight insignia of National Order of Benin.

Just for ID,his medal bar is left to right : Mali Medal of Military Merit - Mali Commemorative Campaign Medal - Mali Commemorative Campaign Medal - France Legion of Honour Knight - Benin National Order Knight

On the neck he's wearing National Order of Mali (for a good picture of that award,see the topic started by Megan on Mali).

Emmanuel

Edited by heusy68

The second highest ranking award of Republic of Dahomey was " Order of Merit of Benin "

This Order was created on 24 october 1961 and is a 3 classes Order.

Several specimen have been seen with a different ribbon : green/burgundy red/green

I've seen ounce a miniature of this Order with red enamel instead of green.It is possible that the change of colour has followed the marxist Coup d'Etat of 1972.No evidence has been found,but if you have a good picture you're most welcome to post it here.The reverse is blank.

Anyway the Order of Merit is seldom seen.

Emmanuel

Edited by heusy68

As specific merit Order,Dahomey has 2 : The Order of Agricultural Merit & the Order of Social Merit.

Here is the Order of Agricultural Merit.It is a 3 classes Order created on 31 December 1962.

I apologise for only having a miniature to show,but it is the onliest I have been able to found.

If anyone has a full size for sale,even without ribbon I would be happy to buy it.

Emmanuel

Here a Knight of Social Merit of Dahomey.

According to the ribbon charts I saw in the manufacturer shop Arthus Bertrand the Republic of Benin continue to award both Order of Agricultural Merit & Order of Social Merit,but with different ribbon.

If anyone has a picture of the new insignia,he's most welcome to post here.

Emmanuel

Here is the Medal of Honour of the Police of the Republic of Dahomey.

This medal was created in november 1962 and can be awarded for act of exceptionnal bravery ,but also for 20 years of service without any blame.

Emmanuel

Edited by heusy68

• 8 months later...

Hello Gentlemen,despite since more than 10 years it is Belgian Army that is in charge of training the Army of Benin,no Orders or Medals from Republic of Benin ever came through this chanel.....

But after years of research I recently found an old collection with some "treasure from Africa).

On a post above I have illustrated the Order of Social Merit of Dahomey,I knew since long the ribbon of the Order of Social Merit of Benin,but only now I'am able to present you the medal itself. It's 2nd class. The basic design remain the same,but simplified. No more bow & arrow above the bee,and no more 4 mountains & 6 stars below the bee.

Diameter is 36 millimeters (same as before), but now the medal is thicker : 3 millimeters instead of 2 for the Republic of Dahomey Version).

Emmanuel

And here is the Republic of Benin Order of Agricultural Merit : Knight

You can check my post above.Here the design of obverse doesn't change,just the ribbon is simplified to match colour of the flag and of course there is a new reverse which reads : REPUBLIQUE DU BENIN - MERITE AGRICOLE.

Diameter is 36 millimeters.

There is no reason to doubt it still a 3 classes award.

Emmanuel

• 2 months later...

Here is the Order of Merit of Benin (officer's insignia,which is gilded). It's the evolution of the Order of Merit from Dahomey (which was named,as early as 1961,Ordre du Mérite du Bénin !).

The ribbon is very narrow,as as the motto around center reads "République Popuplaire du Benin - Merite du Bénin" I guess this is an absolete version given from 1975,or maybe they forgot to change the center.

To compare both version I have included the Order of Merit of Benin (Knight insignia which is silvered) in its version Républic of Dahomey.

Emmanuel

• 3 years later...

I meant to ask, regarding earlier posts, whether the bee on some of the Dahomeyan awards is borrowed from France - either a Napoleonic allusion or a reference to the bee as a symbol of industry - or whether it is an indigenous symbol.  It doesn't appear on the coat of arms and I don't see references to it in a quick look for 'national symbols'.