News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Sykes-Fairburn Commando knife

I received this knife from a friend for free. I am hoping that someone knows something about it. There is a maker mark of "SHEFIELD" on the blade near the hilt.

Can someone let me in on the value(if any) of this blade as well as any information that is known about it?

Is it WW2 era?

Regards

Paul

The handle is all metal(brass?)... no wood at all!

Here is a close up. I apologize for the bad pic

the fairbairn sykes knives certainly originated in WW2 but are still in production now , that one is a third pattern made since 1942

if the mark is Shefield ( single F ) it's a wrong un! but i suspect you've just missed an F out, however even if it's Sheffield i would be thinking it's post war and as such not really that valuble

proof marks such as the WD broad arrow, B, B2, 21, 4 would indicate an original ( but i'm sure there are others)

cheers

chris

no problem,

i have just spotted the FS knife lurking in your showcase photos, that's an amazing collection!!

Thank you for your compliment. :cheers:

The knife does look a lot like a Medieval dirk!

My very first collector blade was a 3rd pattern FS knife. I bought it when I was 16--33 years ago.

I still have it. IMO the FS knife is the most "PURE" designed fighting knife ever made.

Iron cross collectors talk about the simple elegant design of the the EK as one of the reasons of it being so

popular. I think the FS falls into that same catagory.

they really are fantastic knives with great style and feeling

here's two of my heros wearing their knives and german uniforms!

Paddy leigh Fermor and Billy Moss pictured before the kidnap of General Kreipe in Crete ( from Billy Moss's book, Ill met by Moonlight)

IPB Image

Edited by harribobs