News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

British Cavalry Officers rank insignia before 1855

Dragoon Guards, Dragoon, Light Dragoon and Lancer-

Colonel- Two epaulettes with one crown and one pip.

Lieutenant Colonel- Two epaulettes with one crown.

Major- Two epaulettes with one pip.

Captain+Subaltern- Two epaulettes.

Hussar-

Field Officer- Rich decoration on the cuff

Junior Officer- Less decoration on the cuff.

If there is any mistake or error, plz let me inform.

Have a nice day.

Regards

Shams

Hi - Shams. Hope you are well ? You now that I am no expert on British India uniforms - I just didn't want you to think we are ignoring you. Hopefully one of the experts will be able to double check your observations. Best wishes. Mervyn

Shams,

I think you have got it correct. The 1846 DRs are clear on Field Officers down to Major but make no mention of Captains etc. Another reference did state that Captains and Lieutenants were indistinguishable.

Epaulettes are not mentioned for Hussars, so we can assume that they did not wear them, but as to the cuff embellishments I am afraid no mention.

I trawled through some books trying to get a handle on single vs. double vs. no epaulettes but my brain began to hurt so I gave up. A very difficult area indeed.

Stuart

Dear All,

Thanks a lot for your response. I prepared it with the help of the book named "British Army in Crimea". In this book, exactly no clear description is given. Over the internet I searched the DR 1846 to download, but I didn't get it. I got and collected detail information of British army officers rank insignia after Crimean War. If anyone like it, I can attach the images here.

Regards,

Shams

Dear

In the book "British Army in Crimea" (If anyone like to download the book, plz pm me. I will send the download link), Subaltern wore epaulettes with fringes and Captain wore epaulettes with fringes, but fringes were twisted. But the length of fringes were only 2 inches.

I don't have any clear image of this information.

Regards

Shams