News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Afghan K.h.A.D. medal

jeffskea

I picked this medal up in Afghanistan, and from what I can find it is the Afghan K.h.A.D. (KGB) service medal during the Soviets time in Afghanistan. The only others I have seen all have a red ribbon with black and green stripes which is seen on other soviet-afghan medals of the time. Does anyone know anything more about this medal and the ribbon? Thanks!

Jeff

I picked this medal up in Afghanistan, and from what I can find it is the Afghan K.h.A.D. (KGB) service medal during the Soviets time in Afghanistan. The only others I have seen all have a red ribbon with black and green stripes which is seen on other soviet-afghan medals of the time. Does anyone know anything more about this medal and the ribbon? Thanks!

Jeff

I don't know much about the medal, but it is for the WAD, not KhAD. At least that's the acronym on the bottom of the medal.

KhAD, or "State Information Service" (Khedemat-e Ettala`at-e Dawlati), was the name of the Afghan KGB-equivalent until 1986 or so, when it became WAD, the Ministry for State Security (Wizaarat-e Amniyat-e Dawlati). So that would date the medal between 1986 and the fall of the Communist regime in 1992.

Dave

• 1 month later...

Hee, Can I buy this medal from you, Im interested in it, as my father was a KhAD officer during the 80s.

Thanks,

Secandar

Jeff

• 4 weeks later...

If you do not get an answer, please let me know. I have a couple of extra Afghan DRA medals and orders.

Please ask you father if he has a color photo of the ribbon to this medal.

v/r

cabart13

Dear Members,

Thanks for the replies.

My father confirms that this is a WAD medal, and that the colors as shown in this photo are genuine. However, he does not have the medal anymore, or a photo. Thanks to the British, who created and still funds Pakistan and - who on its own turn funds and supports Taliban - this kind of properties were forbidden to have during their reign.

Therefore, unfortunately everything is lost.

Regards,

Secandar

Dear Jeff,

I see. I wish the blue enamel was in better condition. Honest of you to mention that, tho. :)

Im going to Afghanistan next week, might find many of this on the market. However, Im not feeling like looking for it.

Let's make a better price and we both wil be happy :)

Sincerely,

Secandar