News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

dating for Knight of the Order of Isabella the Catholic

jeffskea

Hello, I'm new to this forum and have a few items I'm posting to find more info on.

Just wondering if anyone would happen to know the time period this particular medal was awarded? The inside of the award case says: Cejalvo - Cruz, 11 - Madrid.

Thank you.

Jeff

• 1 month later...
    • 4 weeks later...
    • 3 weeks later...

Hello Jeff ,what you have is Cruz de Plata de Orden Isabel la Catolica (Silver Cross of the Order of Isabel the Catholic). It's lesser ranking to Knight,but it is much more rarer.The Order of Isabel la Catolica was created in 1815,but the Silver Cross was only added in 1903.

The reverse has the cypher of Fernando VII so it's a Kingdom era ( King Alfonso XIII ,so before 1931).But yours has the reverse center enameled (mine not),but lots of variation exist in spanish award.Anyway a beautifull piece you have.

I enclose here the picture of the Siver Cross in my colelction.

Could you post yours obverse & reverse ?

PS : Cejalvo still exist but I think since 2005 or 2006 they are not in their former adress.

Emmanuel

Hello Emmanuel thank you so much for your information. I had always wondered why mine looked so different from the Knight levels. I never knew there was a lower level and have never seen one until you posted yours. Here is the obverse, reverse and a few pictures of the case. It is interesting that the enamels are reversed on our two examples, do they have much value?

• 2 years later...

The silver cross (5th category) was created in 1903. Teh Regulations of 1931 comprises this class but with the folllowing design: the cross bears a Olympic crown of olive, formed of four equal arms of silver, in the center of the obverse superimposed a circular shield, it looks two columns and two globes or worlds, bound with ribbon and covered both with an imperial crown, filling the field of the shield of light rays, starting from the same balloons, extending in all directions. In the exergue, and field blank, gold lettering read the following legend: A LA LEALTAD ACRISOLADA. The reverse bears the inscription POR ISABEL LA CATOLICA, in the upper half of the epigraph, a caravel in the center of the shield.