News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Bin Laden is dead

CNN is reporting that President Obama is going to announce that Osama Bin Laden is not only dead but that the US has the body.

The statement from the President will be (is) available here:

http://www.whitehouse.gov/live?utm_source=wh.gov&utm_medium=shorturl&utm_campaign=shorturl

CBC reporting here:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2011/05/01/us-obama.html?sms_ss=facebook&at_xt=4dbe1e8be002c37c%2C0

Guest Darrell

Unfortunately this will be viewed in the Western World as a huge victory and toasts and cheers all around.

Will it really change anything in the long run? No.

There's always thousands ready to take over where he left off ...

Until the world's politicans take action against the bankers and financial centers that support terrorism activities this one death will have little effect on the safety of our society.

I somehow would have seen real justice being carried out through a trial and execution rather than through assasination. Its not that I object to the latter, but it leaves too much room for speculation as to whether it was really Osama bin Laden who was killed. With Saddam Hussein, there was no doubt.

Assuming he has succesfully been eliminated, I believe that it poses an even greater problem for the US as until yesterday, they knew exactly whom they were after. In fact they have known whom they were after for the last 10 years before being in a position to effectively do anything about it. Let alone the hundred or as Darrell suggests, the thousands who are ready to die for their cause.

The US has sent a message - We will hunt you down and kill you. But are these not terrorists to whom life,including their own means nothing? How effective will such message be in the greater scheme of things.

Mike makes a valid point about tackling the terrorism at its roots i.e. at financing level. This is much harder to do and for every money laundering scheme that is dealt with, there are probably several more intellegent schemes that remain completely undetected.

A victory against terrorism - most definitely. But regrettably, it will probably be rather short lived.

NOTE: This thread will probably verge on the political - so lets try to keep it as clean as possible as it will otherwise be rightfully locked down by the admin.

Unfortunately this will be viewed in the Western World as a huge victory and toasts and cheers all around.

Well... Cheers then! :beer:

Being someone who did NOT support the war on terror, thinking it was just blindly hitting out at anything any everything to get satisfaction... I do now take the oportunity to say "well done USA!" this was "the right stuff!"

One cannot oppose the "war with errors" as not being clinical enough... then complaining about this clinical operation.

If only this had been done waaaaay back when...

I will indeed be drinking something nice tonight, partially because he is dead, partially to the brave men who carried it out.

(By the way... whats with US Special operations helicopters... there always seems to be one that breaks down.)

Is this a victory? YES!

Is it THE victory? Obviously not.

But it is the achievement of a goal, A full stop at the end of a sentence, the end of a chapter etc. etc. etc.

With this goal achieved it allows the US to reaccess its focus. Maybe change its game plan....

I wonder if Obama has a "mission accomplished " T-shirt ;-)

As to complaints that Osama was killed... he went down fighting, I am sure capturing him was the prefered option and would have brought more, buy hey... deads better than nothing.

Although I have heard that Donald Trump is doubting the outcome, insisting on seeing the death certificate and insinuating they actually killed Elvis.

I bet the Team Medic took all that was needed for DNA and photographic proof.

A good operation all around. I wish they had dragged his body down Broadway and hung it on a pole at the WTC site for all to see.

Chris, SpecOp birds are rode hard. Sometimes blades strike things. ###### happens. I've un-assed birds due to things like that. Add in bits of flying lead and.....

Chris, SpecOp birds are rode hard. Sometimes blades strike things. ###### happens. I've un-assed birds due to things like that. Add in bits of flying lead and.....

Although they say it was a technical malfunction. Wasnt the 1st Delta force operation plagued by the same stuff?

http://twitter.com/#!/ReallyVirtual

Check out this Twitter account for live coverage of the assault while it was happening... it's a small world nowadays

Desert One was a combination of errors by interservice operations without unity of effort. We have come a long way since then.

(By the way... whats with US Special operations helicopters... there always seems to be one that breaks down.)

Having flown military helicopters a bit I can only say that there are many, many things that can go wrong - to include false indications of failure. Pilots are trained to land "as soon as practicable" - "as soon as possible" - "immediately" depending on the indications. I've had engine failures, system failures, timely indications of impending failures and false indications of problems. These are incredibly complex machines and as such - more prone to issues than simple machines - ever heard of a door stop failure?

That said - you do not fly such a bird out of and over hostile territory if a better option is available - like land - transfer load and blow the bird for instance... not sure we really wanted to explain unnecessary loss of service members or perhaps "well we had the body but the helicopter crashed and it was incinerated".

A point of note - while there was a material failure of some sort - please note that the plan was sufficiently robust to compensate for the problem.

Sounds like excellent execution of an excellent plan to me.

It's no victory, and the war against terrorism will continue, but it is indeed something that will remind people that they can't hide forever and it's a step in the right direction. beer.gif

It's no victory, and the war against terrorism will continue, but it is indeed something that will remind people that they can't hide forever and it's a step in the right direction. beer.gif

There will never ever be a "final Victory"... there is no capital city to take, no govt to sign a surrender, no agreement between groups of baddies... wipe out all resistance in land A and 10 crazy guys will decide to take up the fight in land B....

However, small victories along the way are still victories.

Final result will probably an acceptable level of violence for a period, then eveyone loosing interest and having something better to do.

They have released photographic evidence of his demise.

Don't jump the gun, apparently he's still alive...

http://www.telegraaf.nl/buitenland/9709926/__Lookalike_van_Osama_bin_Laden__.html?p=3,2

And he's chosen a new career: parking attendant in Bogota!

Don't jump the gun, apparently he's still alive...

http://www.telegraaf...en__.html?p=3,2

And he's chosen a new career: parking attendant in Bogota!

Considering his faith forbids alcohol why was he in a place named after Greene Kings famous Abbott ale, still it could be worse he could have been holed up in Fort Sandeman.

Paul

I truly believe this is a scam....How could Bin Laden be "Buried At Sea" Even the the dumbist navy guy knows that Sh*t floats.......

Edited by Strapper