News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Vaulted EK1 1939

I know it predates the express outlawing of vaulted versions of the 1939 EK1 and I am aware of the story that some of the men from Assault Group Koch at Eben Emael were given vaulted EK1 as award pieces but can any of you tell me who made this cross? It came in a Paul Meybauer case but I don't think it's a Meybauer piece. The centre is iron and the frame appears to be neusilber or "German Silver", with what seems to be a real silver pin. A rarely seen type of cross.

The price "3.75", presumably Reichmark, written in indelible pencil can still be seen on the reverse. The case is a classic Paul Meybauer Berlin-marked exemple but I think it's a shotgun wedding.

The price "3.75", presumably Reichmark, written in indelible pencil can still be seen on the reverse. The case is a classic Paul Meybauer Berlin-marked exemple but I think it's a shotgun wedding.

Nice cross,

also for me the IC not have a typical Meybauer setup.

I think K&Q or Juncker..... more pics, better if are close up, help shurely.

Thanks for sharing and very nice add to your collection.

Best regards

Thank you both for your replies. I will make and post some better images showing the details of the frame, date and hakenkreuz.

It is a beautiful cross. But it is not part of what I collect anymore so I may just sell it.

It is by Klein & Quenzer. Anyway, I have put it up for sale. According to my calculations, the Reichmark was worth around $5.00 US in 1939, which equated to £1 Sterling. So this cross retailed for the equivalent of £3/15s or around $18.00. Joe is offering 5 RM. That's $25.00 in 1939 money, which was about the average weekly wage in the US then. £3/18s was the average weekly wage in Great Britain. Given that the average weekly wage in the US today is - allegedly - $1,200.00, that's $240.00. Of course, we must then add the collectability premium plus a further loading for scarcity. :D

Seriously though, thanks for the answers on and off-line.

It is by Klein & Quenzer. Anyway, I have put it up for sale. According to my calculations, the Reichmark was worth around $5.00 US in 1939, which equated to £1 Sterling. So this cross retailed for the equivalent of £3/15s or around $18.00. Joe is offering 5 RM. That's $25.00 in 1939 money, which was about the average weekly wage in the US then. £3/18s was the average weekly wage in Great Britain. Given that the average weekly wage in the US today is - allegedly - $1,200.00, that's $240.00. Of course, we must then add the collectability premium plus a further loading for scarcity. :D

Seriously though, thanks for the answers on and off-line.

Are you sure about the maker Prosper?

I would have put my money on Juncker, the ek doesn't have the typical K&Q numbers in the date....

Ben

Are you sure about the maker Prosper?

I would have put my money on Juncker, the ek doesn't have the typical K&Q numbers in the date....

Ben

Gordon W reckoned it was K&Q. It would be nice to find it was by Juncker. The quality suggests a top maker.

PK

Gordon W reckoned it was K&Q. It would be nice to find it was by Juncker. The quality suggests a top maker.

PK

I still think it is Juncker.

The reverse hardware is typical Juncker, the wideness of the frame as well, and the core is , most likely, from Waechtler & Lange

All K&Q crosses have the same core (with the typical date) as far as I'm aware.

ben