News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Masonic , Templar swords?

gregM

I hate to think how much grief I might get from SWMBO if I started collecting swords as well.....

There are some nice, older ones around, but I have never really paid them that much attention, I'm afraid. I have certainly been in Craft Lodges where military (ceremonial) swords have been used by the Tyler - and our Inner Guard in my Mother Lodge is also equipped with a sword - but am not in any of the degrees that necessitate all Brethren having swords.

Regards

WM5806

I have 3 old lodge swords. I picked the up many years ago. One I have had for for over 30 years.

Last night I was doing a little research on them and discovered that one dates back to before 1882.

I was surprised. I would have guessed maybe the 1930s.

I know they are not valuable as you can find them on ebay for around $100 but I still find them interesting.

Greg

I am not an authority on Masonry in the US - most of what I know has been picked up through eBay (how sad does that make me???) - but I would have thought the numbers of available swords, amongst other things, may have some impact on their value.

A Knights Templar sword, which just possibly everyone in a Preceptory might have, might be less valuable than a different type of sword used by a Tyler in a Craft (Blue) Lodge, as there could be fewer of the latter.

JUST AN IRREVERENT THOUGHT FROM A FAN OF DOOM: As you progress through the so-called higher Masonic degrees, does the defensive weaponry, sorry I mean capability get better???? If you get a sword for the Craft and Mark degrees, how far do you have to go to get a rocket-launcher? Does the Supreme Council for the 33rd degree have to meet on a firing range for their howitzer?

I'll get back to normal on Monday, I promise!

I Have often wondered what Mr Plod might do if I were to be stopped, going to or returning from a meeting with a 3ft sword in my case.

Suppose it depends on whether you get stopped by a Brother or not :rolleyes:

WM5806

When I was in the Army and stationed in the Washington, DC area 1985-1990 I had the priviledge of accompanying a friend to visit Semper Paratus Lodge #49 in Washington, DC (which I just found out no longer exists, it was consolodated into Harmony Lodge #17 in 1998). The story I was told was that the lodge was founded in 1934 and a commandant of the US Coast Guard was involved in it's founding. Anyway, the connection to this thread is that the tyler used a Coast Guard officer's sword to guard the door. At the time I thought that was a very nice touch.

The 3 that I have are all made as lodge swords and are heavily decorated with masonic symbols.

The oldest one having an ivory handle with a cross going through the center of a triangle. The 2 other

swords being from the 1910s -1920s have a cross going through a crown. Of coarse all have lots of other

symbols on them but the cross/triangle (masons square?) and the cross/crown seam to be the main theme.

Here is a picture of the Ivory handled sword. The design is faded but after 120 years it is still

able to be seen. This sword has servived 2 fires. The Mason lodge it was in burned to the ground and

some years later my apartment building burned down. It makes me kind of nervous keeping it in my house.

[attachmentid=23246]

• 2 years later...

Hello Brothers,

I have a nice old KT sword and a great story to go with it. I acquired it in California while stationed at Camp Pendleton with the US Marines. My friend had it and he was from Washington State. Turns out the sword is actually Canadian and with some research I actually tracked down a PHOTO of the owner who was a prominent man in the area. I found the photo by googling the etched name of the owner on the blade! I will have to post some pics of this sword and the photo!

I went thru the degrees and was raised in Dormont #684 Pittsburgh PA. It was F&AM - York Rite - so swords were used inside the lodge room despite the traditional prohibition against weapons inside the lodge