News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Beautiful Baden Gendarmerie Officer’s Medal Bar 1880s/90s

This is posted on behalf of Rick Research

This was brought by for the final Traveling Museum gathering of 2010 to be Epsonized and shared with you all but especially Sascha.

This is posted on behalf of Rick Research

This was brought by for the final Traveling Museum gathering of 2010 to be Epsonized and shared with you all but especially Sascha.

Lovely gold Baden Zähringen Lion Order-Knight 1st Class (BZ3a), 1870/71 War Medal, Baden Campaign Medal with (UNDER-mounted !!!) bars for 1866 and 1870-71, and Baden 25 Years Service Cross.

Edited by arb

The bar dates from before 1895, when battle bars were authorized for the 1870/71 Medal. Either this fellow was an incredibly ancient retired army officer not decorated for either 1866 or 1870/71, or more likely was a young officer in both wars who went into the Gendarmerie. The Baden 25 was not given to officers in Baden military units after the treaty absorbing Baden’s forces into those of the Empire.

I don’t have a Baden Court and State Handbook before 1902, so can’t say whether this quartet MIGHT be traceable to a Gendarmerie officer of circa 1890.

Thanks to the owner for bringing it by to visit and to Andy for posting since I’m not online. Rick Research

For some reason, when I merged the separate topics and deleted the duplicate post, it deleted the entire thread. I undeleted it and now I am bumping it in case anyone missed it in searching for new content.

The only post-1867 Baden court handbooks I have access to are 1869, 1876, 1884, 1898, 1905 and 1913. 1884 is too early and 1898 may be too late. The closest match in 1898 is Maj. Karl Friedrich August Schmitt, Kommandant d. I. Gendarmerie-Distrikts. He had the four on the medal bar above, plus the 1897 Centenary Medal and the Romanian Order of the Star, Officer.

Thanks Mr. Museum ;), Mr. Research and Andy! A very nice and interresting bar!

Either this fellow was an incredibly ancient retired army officer not decorated for either 1866 or 1870/71, or more likely was a young officer in both wars who went into the Gendarmerie.

I do not think it is traceable. I think the bar might pre-date the 1890s - hardware might well be late 1870s or 1880s - and that it might well be to an incredibly ancient retired army officer not decorated for either 1866 or 1870/71. There were probably some with a combination pretty close to this.

I'd like to add a later picture of mentioned Major Schmitt (from my father's), with his 1905 Hof- und Staatshandbuch entry. The next HuS I have is 1913 in which is is no more mentioned.

On the picture with BZ3aE, KO3, the extremely rare 40 years cross - and just one clasp on Feldienstauszeichnung's ribbon.

juyf6ryu.jpgg8ex25mx.jpg