News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

US Army Green (Service) Uniform

Doc

Good morning, all. I'm looking for some information to support a museum display.

Does anyone know (and have the old regulations available to support the position) of what color shirt was worn with the US Army Officer's Green (Service) Uniform during the early 1960S? I know about the green shirts which were worn in the 70s and 80s, but can't remember what shirt was worn in the early days of this uniform. Was it a tan one, like that worn with the previous "Pinks and Greens"? The uniform in question is the one which looks like a green business suit, with notched lapels and a black stripe down the outside of the leg and around each wrist. Thanks in advance for any help. Doc

Don't have regs available but long sleeved tan shirt without epaulets is my recall. This uniform was transitioning in when I started in 1965. Old guys were delighted... Many wore tans as sign of honor along with white name tapes and black/gold US ARMY on fatigues.

There are some options that you can do here.

1) Army Green Uniform with black stripes, khaki shirt, and black tie (remember the shade of green was different than the curent version, It was OG-107) I also believe the uniform was wool.

2) All Khaki uniform with Green Bus Driver hat (officer version with gold bank and gold eagle)

3) Khaki pants, khacki short sleeve shirt, with pin on rank on the collar

HERE IS THE ABBREVIATED REGULATIONS FOR THE UNIFORMS:

1) ARMY GREEN UNIFORM: Universal uniform for all seasons, ranks, and non-field usage. Adopted 2 Sept 1954 and phased in during 1956-1961, becoming mandatory winter service uniform in 1960 and summer uniform in 1964. Color: Army Green Shade OG-44 or OG-344 for lightweight fabrics. Worn with khaki or tan shirts, black tie. Black shoes phased in starting in 1956.

2)ARMY KHAKI WOOL UNIFORM: Khaki lightweight wool tropical worsted or gabardine coat and trousers uniform for summer duty or semi-dress uniform for officers and warrant officers. Renamed Army Tan Uniform (shade 61) in 1959. Often worn by officers and NCOs with coat removed as a replacement for the issue Army Khaki Cotton Uniform. Worn with khaki or tan shirt. In 1948 the necktie changed from khaki to OD.

3) ARMY COTTON KHAKI UNIFORM: Summer garrison duty uniform, shirt and trousers. Originally long sleeves and full trousers only; from 1956-1962 the abbreviated warm-region version was adopted with shorts, knee socks, and short sleeve shirt. Summer use of the short sleeve shirt combined with long trousers continued until 31 Aug 1985.

best regards,

ostprussenmann

This information is fascinating to me.

I began service on the 1st of July, 1965 at a place well known for following rules.

At that time, numerous tactical officers were wearing tans with green hat, etc. while inspecting us.

I wonder if the "grace" period was extended for that uniform beyond the "mandatory" date shown below or perhaps mandatory date indicated required for purchase but the tans were allowed beyond that date as a "wear out" date much as the greens were when the Army reverted to Blues.

There are some options that you can do here.

1) Army Green Uniform with black stripes, khaki shirt, and black tie (remember the shade of green was different than the curent version, It was OG-107) I also believe the uniform was wool.

2) All Khaki uniform with Green Bus Driver hat (officer version with gold bank and gold eagle)

3) Khaki pants, khacki short sleeve shirt, with pin on rank on the collar

HERE IS THE ABBREVIATED REGULATIONS FOR THE UNIFORMS:

1) ARMY GREEN UNIFORM: Universal uniform for all seasons, ranks, and non-field usage. Adopted 2 Sept 1954 and phased in during 1956-1961, becoming mandatory winter service uniform in 1960 and summer uniform in 1964. Color: Army Green Shade OG-44 or OG-344 for lightweight fabrics. Worn with khaki or tan shirts, black tie. Black shoes phased in starting in 1956.

2)ARMY KHAKI WOOL UNIFORM: Khaki lightweight wool tropical worsted or gabardine coat and trousers uniform for summer duty or semi-dress uniform for officers and warrant officers. Renamed Army Tan Uniform (shade 61) in 1959. Often worn by officers and NCOs with coat removed as a replacement for the issue Army Khaki Cotton Uniform. Worn with khaki or tan shirt. In 1948 the necktie changed from khaki to OD.

3) ARMY COTTON KHAKI UNIFORM: Summer garrison duty uniform, shirt and trousers. Originally long sleeves and full trousers only; from 1956-1962 the abbreviated warm-region version was adopted with shorts, knee socks, and short sleeve shirt. Summer use of the short sleeve shirt combined with long trousers continued until 31 Aug 1985.

best regards,

ostprussenmann

• 2 years later...

Specific correct answers to the questions posed are available in a book entitled U.S. ARMY UNIFORMS OF THE COLD WAR by Shelby Stanton. Unfortunately, my books are packed away pending my move to new quarters. The shirt worn with original Army Green shade 44 (AG-44) uniforms was tan poplin without military distinctions.

Edited by Long Thrust VI

I got married in May of 67 in the old Army tan Class A's. They were being phased out 1 July of 67 and were on markdown in the PX, so I bought a set. They were Officer with the strips around the bottom of the sleeves and down the outside of each leg. I had them removed which then turned them into enlisted. I got married in them and then gave them to a buddy who wore them home a week later and ETS'd.

Everybody later in their career had a tailored made set of double-knit TW's (Tropical Wear) to wear in place of Khakis when not in formation. Mine were made by Sang Woo out of Hong Kong, no career noncom returned from Nam without a set of Sang Woos. TW's went on until khakis were deleted from the duffle-bag but before they did, the discontinued long sleeve khakis and the material changed from cotton to a cotton mix but they still looked like crap.