News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Oval silver merit medal, Hzg Carl Eduard, Cobourg Gotha

Hi gentlemen !

I need your help, I already possess this very nice medal :

saxe1.jpg

Seems to be in silver, 52mm x 32,4mm / 27g.

Very hight level of details...

I recently purchase a second one :

saxe.jpg

50,1mm x 31,4mm / 19,3g

The engraving is blured, especially when you compare the two medals... Seems to be silvered metal, very lighter, in fact.

So what do you think about these two medals ? The second can be a 30's model ? Or a fake ?

Thank you for your help !

:cheers:

Edited by pinpon590

I had one of these once and will posts pictures when I get home. I'm curious too. I would think it should be silver, I don't think mine was and mine didn't have a cut out crown. If I was a betting man, I'd think the one I had wasn't an issue piece, put a copy of some sort.

This is the one I had in my Richthofen bar. I have a better one at home of the single medal obverse and reverse.

Do you really possess this bar :banger: :banger: :banger: What a beauty !

post8790871536001305659.jpg

But, is it the good clasp on the oval Carl Eduard medal ?

I thought there was only the year of awarding, and a band with the date ?

This on the bar looks like a clasp for SEHO medal...

:cheers:

Edited by pinpon590

I built a replica of von Richthofens medal bar using original medals. I couldn't find the correct clasp for the SCG medal so I used that one. I later disassembled it and returned the medals to their original ribbons and sold them off for a new project I had in the works. Ultimately, finding the medals was the fun part not having the medal bar.

I couldn't repete the effort now because of cost.

Hi Daniel,

For my information, did you find a Bavarian military merit order 3rd class with swords or did you find a fourth class ?

Christophe

No I used the 4th class.

Edited by Daniel Cole

• 8 years later...

1812 Overture,

Thanks for your comments. 

I have a few unanswered questions in regards to this medal and clasp. Firstly, I am not sure whether this medal is pre 1935 or not. Is does not have a silver hallmark on the rim, or the maker L.Chr. Lauer at the lower left of the Reverse of the medal. I believe that Paul Meybauer made some but I do not know whether he produced the silver version and I am unsure whether this is a Meybauer produced medal anyway. Any answers to these questions are most welcome.

Regards,

Graham

• 1 month later...
    • 5 months later...

Graham, I might be a bit late to the party, but... when Künker sold another part of the Peter Groch collection in autumn, there where five different examples of this medal offered. Might that be a helpful reference?

Even later to another party: Revisiting the whole thread, I'd suggest that Daniel Cole's example, shown May 18, 2011(!), is not and never was a Herzog-Carl-Eduard-Medaille, but rather the Ehrenzeichen für Heimatverdienst, which is an award on its own, with its own ribbon - but with no own design. There are some minor traces of the bronze toning left... the two medal bars shown by 1812 Overture compare these two awards most vividly!

Edited by saschaw