News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Oval silver merit medal, Hzg Carl Eduard, Cobourg Gotha

I'm far from an expert on this most confusing medals, but I do like it from the general look. I cannot tell the maker, unfortunately, but there were probably some others involved, at least for the post-war era - which includes post-war awards by the former Duke as well as privately purchased wearers' copies.

Regarding the swords clasp, I'm not even sure if they were awarded in this combination? It seems to be the same as for the merit medals of the house order, and could be added. Not saying it is, but I just couldn't judge this. I prefer the ones with additional engraved date that, from my understanding, were exclusively for this award.

Henning Volle, in his 2014 volume on the German "Great War" awards Stiftungen und Erneuerungen von deutschen Orden und Ehrenzeichen im Ersten Weltkrieg, published by the DGO, mentions the possibility of such combinations, for they are known in collections. However, the primary sources are difficult to interpret, thus the uncertainty.

Hi

Don't forget that on the claps for wartime medal, you find not only the year but the day and the month. this one is from the Aulock's medal bar, image I have found on eay years ago.

image.jpeg.a1b98a19d7925b288421ea2fa63475fe.jpeg

image.jpeg.f197c6125a8c66d910fc8067f7181e18.jpeg

I hope it will help

Christophe