News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Can someone give me the proper identification, and the period of use, of this heraldic device, which has been tentatively identied as Saxon arms and is attached to a brass gorget? Heraldry is not my strength.

Jeff,

I really don't see anything here that would qualify this as Saxon. The only things that are vaguely reminiscent of the Saxon coat of arms are the bars in the right-hand quadrant, but that is a common background in heraldry. I think you will need a real expert on this one.

Best regards,

Chip

Jeff,

I really don't see anything here that would qualify this as Saxon. The only things that are vaguely reminiscent of the Saxon coat of arms are the bars in the right-hand quadrant, but that is a common background in heraldry. I think you will need a real expert on this one.

Best regards,

Chip

Chip the left hand arms are described by Rentzmann's Wappen Lexicon as Saxony, Electorate which dates it prior to 1802, the right hand arms are more confusing because I can't find a coat of arms with a scimitar but certainly of Saxon origin.

Paul

Chip the left hand arms are described by Rentzmann's Wappen Lexicon as Saxony, Electorate which dates it prior to 1802, the right hand arms are more confusing because I can't find a coat of arms with a scimitar but certainly of Saxon origin.

Paul

Paul,

the Rentzmann's Wappen Lexicon is for coins, so I think you mean something like a this (*): 03629-WWW.jpg 800 × 400 Pixel

But I'm not sure that your coat of arms is a saxon!??? I can't find it here: Deutsche Wappen - SACHSEN

... or here: German Coats of Arms (Wappen) XVIIth Century A005

Best regards, ;)

Jens

(*): RÖMISCH - DEUTSCHES REICH WELTLICHE HERREN Sachsen - Weimar, Taler 1598, Saalfeld.

mcsearch.info - The medieval & modern coin search engine

..or: Sachsen-Albertinische-Linie ?: Google Übersetzer

Edited by KIR

Paul,

the Rentzmann's Wappen Lexicon is for coins, so I think you mean something like a this (*): 03629-WWW.jpg 800 × 400 Pixel

But I'm not sure that your coat of arms is a saxon!??? I can't find it here: Deutsche Wappen - SACHSEN

... or here: German Coats of Arms (Wappen) XVIIth Century A005

Best regards, ;)

Jens

(*): RÖMISCH - DEUTSCHES REICH WELTLICHE HERREN Sachsen - Weimar, Taler 1598, Saalfeld.

mcsearch.info - The medieval & modern coin search engine

..or: Sachsen-Albertinische-Linie ?: Google Übersetzer

Yes, Plate 31 59-71

Paul

Just guessing here but the quartering - assuming the rules used then (& there) are comparable to those currently used in the UK suggest that the Elector was married to a lady whose arms are those baring the scimitar. Offspring would show Saxony Elector twice in opposing corners with the other opposite assuming the lady held arms in her own right. I'd look to see the various couples who occupied the Elector's throne in hopes of finding your answer. The right bride should give away both dates & arms.

• 1 year later...

Hello,

This is polish officers infantary gorget from XVIII centuary.Why Wettin symbols on top of eagle?This time polish king was from Saksonia/Wettins family:August II and after his son August III.

Please find below link to official website of Polish Army Museum with similar gorget:

http://www.muzeumwp.pl/emwpaedia/ryngraf-oficera-piechoty-koronnej-z-pierwszej-polowy-xviii-wieku.php

Brgds