News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Persia - Order of the Lion and the Sun

The Boulanger medals are exceptionally well made. It is also larger than many other commander badges of the same class. The medallion is painted on glass with gold foil showing through the back.

The Boullanger Lions are just beautiful. The enamel paintings of the lions would be my favourite, along with the Wolfers lions.

Do you know if official manufacturers' specifcations were issued for the Lion and Sun?

The Boullanger Lions are just beautiful. The enamel paintings of the lions would be my favourite, along with the Wolfers lions.

Do you know if official manufacturers' specifcations were issued for the Lion and Sun?

Hi Gavin,

Yes the Boulanger and Wolfers are also at the top of my list for the most beautiful medallion paintings.

As far as I know the specification's of the Lion and Sun orders were detailed in sizing of the orders but I have found deviation in the sizing of the Commander badges. The specs on the size in the 3rd class state a 7.0 CM diameter of the badge, which the Boulanger 3rd class meets exactly, but most of the others I have seen are smaller in size.

Third class: a six-rayed star in cut silver with sharp Gothic points; the rays grouped in fives; the groups separated by small plain rays enameled in green. In the centre, a round gold disk bearing an image of a lion facing left, all enameled in natural colors. In the background and arising from the horizon, an image of the sun in splendor, bearing a male face, enameled in white, and surrounded by narrow rays. The disk garlanded by a single circlet in silver with half ball finials. Attached to the top of the star, a sunburst in cut silver, issuing from a single half ball finial representing the sun. The sunburst is attached to a vertical suspension loop in cut silver. The diameter between the furthest points of the star measures 7.0 cm. The third class is suspended from the ribbon, around the neck.

This is a nice grouping of Persian Lion and Sun medals with jewels that I found on a Spanish Medal Forum. No mention as to where the collection picture came from but must be a museum or a very wealthy collector.

Thanks Nick! Appears to be of Austrian or Russian make.

I vote for German or Austrian maker :)

This is a nice grouping of Persian Lion and Sun medals with jewels that I found on a Spanish Medal Forum. No mention as to where the collection picture came from but must be a museum or a very wealthy collector.

Some of these pieces we've seen already somewhere ;)

f4df5a3ceb3ae02bddbacb9c6f13c438.gif

Edited by JapanX

Yes they were in your bling bling thread on Persian Lion and suns:

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php/topic/53958-bling-lion-and-sun-orders/

Initially they were in a European auction and now are resting in Najafcoins site marked up triple from the auction hammer prices.

Najaf lists them as having mine cut diamonds. The photo with the red velvet background must have been taken from the first auction of them.

Yes they were in your bling bling thread on Persian Lion and suns:

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php/topic/53958-bling-lion-and-sun-orders/

Sure they are ;)

How could I forget them?! :lol:

Initially they were in a European auction and now are resting in Najafcoins site marked up triple from the auction hammer prices.

Najaf lists them as having mine cut diamonds. The photo with the red velvet background must have been taken from the first auction of them.

"Mine cut diamonds" ...

Rich style description :lol:

This is a type Lion and Sun medal very seldom seen that I purchased from the Netherlands. It seems like the others of this type were also in Netherlands auctions. Quite a large faced lion with attitude. There is a silver mark of a wild boar indicating French made. Finely pierced with no maker marks looking like late 1800's manufacture period. This is an early Bertrand made Lion and Sun based on set seen in auction with identical medallion painting that was marked with makers mark.

Edited by Markus

Another piece from same location ...

Very nice Nick. The second medal, breaststar with wreath ornament, is the first time I have seen this type of workmanship. Very unique and a real beauty! Thanks for posting these.

Markus

Did you noticed that base of this breast star is looking very much alike breast star from Ivanovo Museum? ;)

(see post # 28 http://gmic.co.uk/index.php/topic/53054-russians-and-their-lions/page__st__20)

:cheers:

Nick

Edited by JapanX