News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Persia - Order of the Lion and the Sun

Owain, thanks for posting your beauties! All your lions are so unique and represent quite the range of artwork for the Lion & Sun order. I don't know if you are interested in restoring the rays to your military Lion and Sun or not. I have had great results with a restorer in England. See my post under preservation and restoration topics.

Markus

Edited by Markus

Hi everyone!

I am quite new in this discussion group. I came across a very interesting Lion and sun badge.

It is small in diameter. Aprox 5 cm. I know that it come from GB, London. Does anyone know anything about this type?

It has no hallmarks.

(sorry for my Tarzan English) :)

Mat.

Hi everyone!

I am quite new in this discussion group. I came across a very interesting Lion and sun badge.

It is small in diameter. Aprox 5 cm. I know that it come from GB, London. Does anyone know anything about this type?

It has no hallmarks.

Mat.

Hi Mat!

Beautiful piece! :beer:

Definitely high-quality European work.

5 cm ...

Is it diameter of medal or is it height together with suspension ring?

Most likely it is a miniature ;)

Cheers,

Nick

Edited by JapanX

Hi Nick,

It is 5,3 x 7,4 cm. It is definitely not a miniature. That means 5,3 cms in diameter. What do you think about number of rays? It has 8 rays. Normaly lover classes have 4, 5 rays, higher classes 6 rays. I have never seen a badge with 8 rays. And another thing. The colour of the stones. Green central rays and purple mini-rays between.

Any usefull info on this piece? Perhaps Lady variant? Like al-kemal of egypt? Or Pleiade badge (seven sisters) Pahlevi persia?

Mat.

Hi everyone!

It has no hallmarks.

Mat.

Hi Mat,

Thanks for sharing that unique lion and sun medal. The first one of its type I have ever seen! Eight rays is usually the number of points and rays on a 1st class breast star. On all the other Lion and Sun medals I have see the green rays are between the points and not following the point tip line. I agree with Nick in that it is European or Russian made. I suspect that it was a one of a kind made medal by a high end jeweler for the client. Is this piece in your collection? Do you know if the stones are glass or gem stones? An amazing piece!

Markus

Edited by Markus

It is 5,3 x 7,4 cm. It is definitely not a miniature.

With these dimensions it is indeed hardly a miniature....

What do you think about number of rays? It has 8 rays. Normaly lover classes have 4, 5 rays, higher classes 6 rays. I have never seen a badge with 8 rays. And another thing. The colour of the stones. Green central rays and purple mini-rays between.

Most likely these are consequences of maker phantasy.

8 rays is of course something quite eccentric (as well as additional mini rays), but this order (as the Persian awarding system in general) is inherently eccentric.

Cheers,

Nick

I agree with Nick in that it is European or Russian made.

Russian?

Hmmm...

With this amazing quality of central medallion?

I think our mate Babar will strongly disagree :lol:

I'll post something quite interesting by tomorrow evening, so you better stay tuned my friend ;)

Cheers,

Nick

Russian?

Hmmm...

With this amazing quality of central medallion?

I think our mate Babar will strongly disagree :lol:

I'll post something quite interesting by tomorrow evening, so you better stay tuned my friend ;)

Cheers,

Nick

:cheeky: The Russians had so many makers with some of the best jeweled Lion and Sun medals!

I thought you were supposed to be the PR person for Russian made! :lol:

I always eagerly await your fantastic posts Nick! :catjava:

The eccentric one of a kind nature and sun painting of Mat's medal remind me of this one in the Spada collection.

Markus

The eccentric one of a kind nature and sun painting of Mat's medal remind me of this one in the Spada collection.

My thoughts exactly :cheers:

It will be great to see the reverse construction ...

Cheers,

Nick

Edited by JapanX

Hi Mat,

Thanks for sharing that unique lion and sun medal. The first one of its type I have ever seen! Eight rays is usually the number of points and rays on a 1st class breast star. On all the other Lion and Sun medals I have see the green rays are between the points and not following the point tip line. I agree with Nick in that it is European or Russian made. I suspect that it was a one of a kind made medal by a high end jeweler for the client. Is this piece in your collection? Do you know if the stones are glass or gem stones? An amazing piece!

Markus

Hi, Markus,

It is from my personal collection, bought recently in some Uk antik-shop. I belive it is British manufacrure. Center medalion painting is very similar to some early "george & Michael" center medalions madde by spinks or Gerrard. The stones are probbably glass or crystal. The are definitely not diamonds.

In that period they used "rose-cut" diamonds, and they look very different. I have st. Anna with stones and some of the stones are crystals just like that ones. (around centre)

since I am new here, how can I attach more pics? atachment button simply disappeared.

thanx

Mat.

Hi Mat,

What a find that one was! It would be interesting to see the back of the medal. Try hitting more reply option button to get attachment buttons. British makers of Lion and Sun were very rare.

Markus

I thought you were supposed to be the PR person for Russian made! :lol:

If it comes to that http://gmic.co.uk/index.php/topic/54861-pro-fide-lege-et-rege-imperial-russia-order-of-the-white-eagle/

:whistle:

:lol:

The most interesting are the purple stones between rays

Mat.

Another first! The jeweler definetly took some artistic liberties! Thanks for posting the additional images. No other lion painting has come close to this one in style as well.

Markus

What a fascinating example, Galah! I have not seen a British made Lion although it was really a matter of time given Britain was one of the players of the Great Game.

Thank you Owain too for posting your very beautiful examples.

Nick, you mentioned in one of your posts that you could tell from the reverse that it was obviously British in construction. Would you mind expanding on that?

Thanks for a fantastic thread gents.

Gavin

Nick, you mentioned in one of your posts that you could tell from the reverse that it was obviously British in construction. Would you mind expanding on that?

"..obviously British in construction..." ?

What part of my post gave you that feeling mate? :lol:

"After all" or "could"? ;)

I only said it could be private british manufacturer after all ...

As for this reverse construction - nothing extremely british about it ;)

Cheers,

Nick