News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Persia - Order of the Lion and the Sun

Cool medal Nick. Looks to be a variant of order-of-nishan-i-limi (order-of-arts-science).

Yep.

The only question is the size of this badge and the sash (it doesn`t look like usual neck ribbon :lol:)

The color of the ribbon is also a peculiar one ;)

I think the badge was made specifically to be a sash badge and must have been accompanied by a breast star companion piece.

As for the ribbon, since as we all know it must be red :lol: , must just be a bad dye job. :cheeky:

Nope.

We all know the answer...

These freaking evil dealers again!!!

Evil dealers are everywhere :violent:

Usually they change evrything to green (since it is "not a difficult task" for decent evil dealer to find green one in his evil shop) ...

Looks like they made a blunder...

At last!

Or suckers ran out of green ribbons?!

But why they used sash?!

Obviously suckers ran out of neck ribbons!!!

:rock on:

Edited by JapanX

• 4 weeks later...

Here is a new addition to my collection courtesy of jkmilitaria.com . A beautiful Boullanger made 4th class for civilians Lion and Sun. It was thought that the Boullanger firm outsourced some of their medal manufacturing to other makers. This style is pretty distinctive with rays of gold foil showing through etched glass. There are two maker punch marks identified by Jean-Christophe, of http://www.phaleristic.com.

The maker marks are for Edmond LEMAITRE, this house is an old orders maker.

The mark is EL with a grenade with 4 flames in the centre.

The Lemaitre enterprise was founded in 1785 by l. Boudier, jeweler. In 1836, it is headed by François Hippolyte Lemaître, and then in 1875 by his son, Edmond Lemaître. In 1905, the son of Gaston Lemaitre became the owner. In 1920, Lemaitre purchased the firm Boullanger. Became Lemaitre & Fills in 1922. Lemaitre & Cie in 1936. Purchased by Betrand in 1937.

So Lemaitre was making medals for Boullanger before they acquired them.

Edited by Markus

The maker marks on this medal appear to be the initials E and L. Does anybody have any ideas which French maker had this mark?

Jean-Chrispohe of http://www.phaleristic.com/ kindly identified this mark for me as:

Edmond LEMAITRE, this house is an old orders maker. 

Lemaitre bought BOULLANGER in 1920, and was finally absorbed by ARTHUS BERTRAND in1937.

The mark is EL with a grenade with 4 flames in the centre. This mark was used between 1865 to 1905.

Edited by Markus

From Topkapi Saray (Palace) Museum, Istanbul.

Hi Mitya,

Do you know if these Topkapi display Persian medals can be photographed in the museum? I am going to Istanbul to this museum at he end of August. Thanks for all your great posts!

Markus

Dear Markus, I've never been to Topkapi Palace myself (I've came across this picture of Moqaddas that I sent to Nick in the Internet). But try to take a chance: they have wonderful Lions and Suns too. I saw the photos of them in the Internet too.

Actually, because of this phaleristic terrorist Mitya e33c6fcd9cc0df25cef6148d93d3f6b5.gif I postponed new lions&suns order pictures posting, because we'll need some time to come to consciousness after these recent awesome images ac28c59b1591fec4c93b5bc8aed39a60.gif

Edited by JapanX

"Wearing inappropriate clothes, filming and photography are strictly forbidden."

:(

http://www.constantinopleguide.com/Topkapi_palace.html

What a bummer! Thanks Mitya. Museums all differ immensely as to permitting photography. The Legion of Honour museum in Paris permits photography of all their beautiful order medals, so long as flash is not used. I have seen some photos of the lion and sun medals at the Topkapi palace on the internet before, so they must have been taken secretly.

Markus