Jump to content
drclaw

Persia - Order of the Lion and the Sun

Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, JapanX said:

Ali, is it possible for you to read this inscription? 

post-6141-0-08626100-1379422819.jpg

It's not the name of the maker.It's date 1339 not sure Hijri or Shamsi.Most likely the name of the owner of the Medal.Gholam Reza Khan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MGGeorges20.png

 

Photograph of Doctor Inspector Lucien Marie Victor GEORGES. (1866 - 1924). He was appointed Inspector Doctor in 1919. He directed the Health Service of the 20th Army Corps. He is wearing the photograph of the 1915 model outfit with embroidered kepi. The kepi is made of acanthus leaves mixed with the epidermis snake, all embroidered on red velvet. The tunic has two silver stars at the bottom of the sleeves, as well as red velvet collar attributes representing the caduceus emblem of the Health Corps. Note the small buttons at the bottom of the sleeves to raise them during operations performed in military hospitals. The decorations present on the tunic are as follows: Officer of the Legion of Honor, War Cross 1914-1918, Colonial Medal, Commander of the Lion and the Sun of Persia

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Dr Ali Kolahdooz said:

It's not the name of the maker.It's date 1339 not sure Hijri or Shamsi.Most likely the name of the owner of the Medal.Gholam Reza Khan

Many thanks Ali! 

For years I am trying to identify unknown persian maker of these lions. Still no luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As I said it's not the maker's name. it's just the name of an unknown person.Unfortunately it was and is very common for people to write their name on monuments, bank notes and important/popular places.

There are 100s of names on the Persepolis stones sadly :( 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

found new Sun and Lion Medal maker: C.F Zimmermann.

Any more info on the maker?German maker 

20200525_092408.jpg

20200525_092421.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

C. F. Zimmermann, Pforzheim was a very well known German manfacturer of awards.  Besides German honors, the company manufactured a very wide range of decorations from Bulgaria to Zanzibar in full size and miniature.   Jacob's Court Jewellers of the World provides more details. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, 922F said:

C. F. Zimmermann, Pforzheim was a very well known German manfacturer of awards.  Besides German honors, the company manufactured a very wide range of decorations from Bulgaria to Zanzibar in full size and miniature.   Jacob's Court Jewellers of the World provides more details. 

I don't have the book,If you do can you please share a photo of Zimmermann's bio please.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Dr Ali Kolahdooz said:

found new Sun and Lion Medal maker: C.F Zimmermann.

Any more info on the maker?German maker 

20200525_092408.jpg

20200525_092421.jpg

I just don't understand why the owner of this medal insist this medal was made in Belgium by Zimmerman order!!!!

Any idea gentlemen?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is strange.

Even reverse clearly states that badge was made by C.F. Zimmermann from Pforzheim.

Do you have a better pictures of obverse and reverse (where suspension is fully visible)?

Any aditional marks (like Silber, 900, etc)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Zimmermann center resembles Austrian examples.

Do not have access to Jacob's book now, perhaps someone else can supply information from it.  I remember Jacob reporting Zimmermann as being active from at least the 1930's, making German, Romanian and Bulgarian awards. Rick Research believed Zimmermann began much earlier maybe late 1880's-90's.  Rick's thought now makes more sense since this Sun & Lion dates before the 1930's! [Use of term Hofjuwelier another indicator]

The factory was destroyed during WW II--damaged items from that factory debris have been offered for sale for at least 5 years.  They include full size and miniature decorations from various German states', Czech, Zanzibar, Yugoslavia, Greece, and many other countries.  Zimmermann's held LDO and Lieferant number 20 [varient number L52] from 1941-45.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jacob only mentions that Zimmermann made Romanian and Bulgarian orders since the 1930s. He doesn't really specify - depending on how you read it - when the company started.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, 922F said:

The Zimmermann center resembles Austrian examples.

 

No, it doesn`t.

Nothing even remotely common. 

Rothe.

20200525_092421.thumb.jpg.8729caaa0421d161efbc336c6a092bcc.jpg.dba95e1919222b62d0c88a1c634a0fac.jpg13.jpg.bb802879d38d6e9ab6b9ce11b8fba483.jpg

 

 

 20200525_092421.thumb.jpg.8729caaa0421d161efbc336c6a092bcc.jpg.dba95e1919222b62d0c88a1c634a0fac.jpg33.jpg.514e100efd253e7b8f0c4012753f142f.jpg

 

V. Mayer’s Söhne

20200525_092421.thumb.jpg.8729caaa0421d161efbc336c6a092bcc.jpg.b197ba190e093e497c665657e9a22e62.jpg18.jpg.56245c986d6182522b15828c3d076c68.jpg

20200525_092421.thumb.jpg.8729caaa0421d161efbc336c6a092bcc.jpg.b197ba190e093e497c665657e9a22e62.jpg3.jpg.3203d370091d4857f69fe562ff3dc916.jpg

20200525_092421.thumb.jpg.8729caaa0421d161efbc336c6a092bcc.jpg.591e214447394556138dc6921feb75db.jpg1.jpg.05a372bb7c046fb55aa008a9a720fe4f.jpg

Edited by JapanX

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, JapanX said:

No, it doesn`t.

Nothing even remotely common. 

Rothe.

20200525_092421.thumb.jpg.8729caaa0421d161efbc336c6a092bcc.jpg.dba95e1919222b62d0c88a1c634a0fac.jpg13.jpg.bb802879d38d6e9ab6b9ce11b8fba483.jpg

 

 

 20200525_092421.thumb.jpg.8729caaa0421d161efbc336c6a092bcc.jpg.dba95e1919222b62d0c88a1c634a0fac.jpg33.jpg.514e100efd253e7b8f0c4012753f142f.jpg

 

V. Mayer’s Söhne

20200525_092421.thumb.jpg.8729caaa0421d161efbc336c6a092bcc.jpg.b197ba190e093e497c665657e9a22e62.jpg18.jpg.56245c986d6182522b15828c3d076c68.jpg

20200525_092421.thumb.jpg.8729caaa0421d161efbc336c6a092bcc.jpg.b197ba190e093e497c665657e9a22e62.jpg3.jpg.3203d370091d4857f69fe562ff3dc916.jpg

20200525_092421.thumb.jpg.8729caaa0421d161efbc336c6a092bcc.jpg.591e214447394556138dc6921feb75db.jpg1.jpg.05a372bb7c046fb55aa008a9a720fe4f.jpg

I agree with JapanX. This to me looks like a Persian made L&S. The painting and ray treatment as well as the metal work, look Persian. Sometimes I’ve seen Persian made L&S medals that have a European maker plate attached at a later date. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I`d say the closest (by iconography) will be Saniolmamalek, Tegran.

5.jpg

4.jpg

Another known variation from Saniolmamalek.

46.jpg

5.jpg

Edited by JapanX

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also compared and come to conclusion of saniolamamalek.

Could it be a forged Medal?Like a saniolmamalek made medal lately presented as zimmemran by adding his name?

the other only photo I can get

Screenshot_20200526-091103_Gallery.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

;) 

Screenshot_20200526-091103_Gallery.thumb.jpg.1160adf8b8d432b0c05d8ad4b4fa31cd.jpg

2 hours ago, Dr Ali Kolahdooz said:

 Could it be a forged Medal?Like a saniolmamalek made medal lately presented as zimmemran by adding his name?

 

Zimmermann could use Saniolmamalek tablet as a model.

I`ve seen this type of lion in german medal bar once.

Well, let`s wait and see if I we can find another example of Zimmermann work. 

Then we can make much more reliable conclusion.

Best,

Nick

Edited by JapanX

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...