News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Tracing a man from very unusual Medal Bar (RE)

Guest rmamarshall

Guest rmamarshall

Dear All,

I was bought for Christmas (no smirking, please!) an unnamed Royal Engineer WO's SD tunic, with medal ribbons as follows:

BRITISH SOUTH AFRICA COMPANY'S MEDAL 1890-97

QUEEN'S SOUTH AFRICA

KING'S SOUTH AFRICA

Looking up the above in Spink's 'British Battles and medals', I have found out that only 4 Royal Engineers were entitled to the South Africa company medal. Does anyone have the medal roll to find the names of those entitled? Given that the chap became a WO pre-WW1 (the tunic I would date to c.1910), it would seem he spent a long time in the engineers and thus one of the four REs originally entitled was probably him. As to whether any / all served in the Boer war could narrow it down further. I would try myself at the PRO, but am a long way from London and it is the sort of info. someone might have knocking around. My next port of call will be the regimental museum.

Regards,

Richard