News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

General Service Medal - Iraq Clasp R.A.O.C - Cpl Owen

Guest IMHF

I found a British GSM General Service Medal with Iraq clasp correctly named to S-9460 A.CPL. A.E. OWEN. R.A.O.C. 1914-1918 for my collection. I am doing some research about the soldier who was awarded the medal for service. I wish I was able to examine the medal in hand, now looking at the ribbon it looks like it was replaced with a new one. I have started collecting more British and French medals during the Mandates and services in the Arab states and lands of the Ottoman Empire to help establish Arab Independence.

I would like to hear what others thank about the medal and what you feel about the ribbon, the image was provided by the online site to where I bought it from.

I paid $160.00 for it and hope I was not burned on the price.

Thank you

Lorenzo

Lorenzo - a good addition to your collection. These early GSM's from the setting-up of the Protectorates are quite sought after. I would think perhaps 100-120 Pounds ($ 170) - so, your price seems reasonable. Try to find the RAF from the 1930's - they are worth a lot of money - particularly to pilots.

Guest IMHF

Lorenzo - a good addition to your collection. These early GSM's from the setting-up of the Protectorates are quite sought after. I would think perhaps 100-120 Pounds ($ 170) - so, your price seems reasonable. Try to find the RAF from the 1930's - they are worth a lot of money - particularly to pilots.

Mervyn

Thank you for your reply some of the other GSM that I was looking at was the Iraq RAF and the Kurdistan Clasp I have seen a few groups and singles of these medals. I have been finding alot of medals from Liverpool, Merseyside, United Kingdom if you have some of these medals to offer I would be happy to get a few.

What do you feel about the ribbon? Just by looking at the condition it looks replaced??

Thank you always for your help

Lorenzo

Lorenzo - the ribbon may well have been replaced - but does that really matter. They are made to be replaced when worn or dirty - if they were to be permanent they wouldn't come out. Obviously a Victorian medal with a silk ribbon is more desireable then a modern cotton re-placement - but, these old bits are hard to find. I don't think on this medal that it really makes any difference. I think most of the GSM's I have for later periods.

If you are going to collect from the 1st WW period , then I advise you to do a little reading. General Allenby in Mesopotamia and the French, re-wrote the map of that area. We split up the remains of the old Turkish Empire and established boundaries for many new Countries. Lebanon , Iraq and Jordan come immediately to mind. This arbitary division has caused most of the problems in recent years. However, a little background knowledge will help you when you are shown medals. If you are not sure about something - try to photograph it and post.

Guest IMHF

Lorenzo - the ribbon may well have been replaced - but does that really matter. They are made to be replaced when worn or dirty - if they were to be permanent they wouldn't come out. Obviously a Victorian medal with a silk ribbon is more desireable then a modern cotton re-placement - but, these old bits are hard to find. I don't think on this medal that it really makes any difference. I think most of the GSM's I have for later periods.

If you are going to collect from the 1st WW period , then I advise you to do a little reading. General Allenby in Mesopotamia and the French, re-wrote the map of that area. We split up the remains of the old Turkish Empire and established boundaries for many new Countries. Lebanon , Iraq and Jordan come immediately to mind. This arbitary division has caused most of the problems in recent years. However, a little background knowledge will help you when you are shown medals. If you are not sure about something - try to photograph it and post.

Mervyn

Thank you very much for the fast reply and letting me know that having a replaced ribbon means nothing about the history of the medal. I am very happy with it, I can’t wait to return home from Iraq so I can view the sum of close 200 medals I bought for my collection this tour in Iraq.

I am looking for the RAF from the 1930's Issue that you are talking about I found a medal that was awarded to Aircraftman 2nd Class R. Coles, Royal Air Force. The medal is officially impressed: 333487 A.C.2. R. Coles, R.A.F.

Thank you very much for the help

Lorenzo

Guest IMHF

Mervyn

Thank you for your reply some of the other GSM that I was looking at was the Iraq RAF and the Kurdistan Clasp I have seen a few groups and singles of these medals. I have been finding alot of medals from Liverpool, Merseyside, United Kingdom if you have some of these medals to offer I would be happy to get a few.

What do you feel about the ribbon? Just by looking at the condition it looks replaced??

Thank you always for your help

Lorenzo

This is an Email I received from a friend about the GSM

Regarding the medal you bought, I do think it is a great piece. I wouldn't say you overpaid for it, however since it's a RAOC (Ordnance Corps)....maybe you paid slightly a 10% more, but these medals are hard to find anyway so I 'd say you did get your self a bargain there. And a CPL is not a common private.

Considering repros I am afraid that online sales with distanced photos like the one your R.A.O.C seller had in his description do not help in spotting a fake medal. So you will have to wait to have a close look at it when it arrives....but from away it looks rather ok. The ribbon though is a replacement new one, as it shows obvious contradiction, in its condition, if compared to the one of the medal.

Thank you for viewing

Lorenzo

Guest Darrell

I agree with Mervyn. Strange thing this collecting hobby. Whereas a replaced or modern ribbon on WW2 TR medal or badge would almost be the kiss of death to that group, it really makes no difference to most Victorian or later collectors. It took a while for that to sink in for me .. but after while you get used to it. Obviously original ribbon is desired, but isn't the do all end all like other areas of medal collecting.

Edited by Darrell

what gets me about British collecting(iv moved over about a year now!) is that original silk ribbons are so damn hard to find!even for the common awards! yet 3rd reich or German imperial are really easy to get!half my collect has modern ribbons but just like darrell im getting over it!;)

Edited by paddywhack

Guest IMHF

Here is a medal bar with the GSM and Kurdistan clasp, I missed this one it went over my limit on the set. My limit was based off I do not know what the bar is worth; I would have loved to have added it to my collection.

Lorenzo

Guest IMHF

Here is a medal bar with the GSM and Kurdistan clasp, I missed this one it went over my limit on the set. My limit was based off I do not know what the bar is worth; I would have loved to have added it to my collection.

Lorenzo

Some Information on the British Bar

WW1 British War Medal & Victory Medal and G.S.M Kurdistan all correctly named to 86908 PTE M.J. MITCHELL M.G.C and a WW2 Defense Medal unnamed as issued.

Thank you for viewing

Lorenzo

• 10 months later...