News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Brazil WW1 Victory Medal

Guest Darrell

Guest Darrell

Well .. sources say ....

Number Issued = 2,500

The notorious Cuban Victory Medal

Number Issued = 6,000-7,000

Two Cuban Victory Medals were just recently offered on ebay for $500 and $700 US (Reserved Price). :unsure:

Edited by Darrell

Brazil is the unknown ally in WWI. They actually had a substantial Navy and Merchant Marine, but got into the war too late for much Army participation.

Their dreadnaughts were in terrible condition when Brazil got into the war, so they spent the war in Philadelphia, getting their boilers re-cored and overhauled. The lesser ships were used to patrol the seas off West Africa. They operated in an area roughly bounded by Dakar, the Azores and Bahia.

When the flu epidemic hit, the illness ran through the Brazilian crews like wildfire. Some of ships were reporting that only 10% of their crews were effective -- everyone else was sick or caring for the sick. There is a cemetery in Dakar that is filled with their dead.

So, the Victory Medal mostly went to the Navy. The Army had a few men in France and there was one Brazilian aviation unit in France (about 30 men, as I recall)

On the viewer's left is a currently made copy of the Brazilian Victory Medal

-- reddish tone

-- heavy wear to the design highlights, but no wear elsewhere

-- feathers in the wings look like shingles

-- leaves in the wreath outlined

-- very large suspension loop

-- very thin planchet

On the viewer's right is a Laslo official Type 2 (without the Mint's name on the edge)

-- yellowish tone

-- soft design, but not worn

-- feathers in the wings indistinct (i.e., feathery)

-- leaves in the wreath relatively flat with a central vein

-- smaller suspension loop

-- edge thick enough for the Mint's name

The reverse of the same two medals:

Copy

-- mushy designs in the national arms (compare the Belgian lions at 7:00 positions)

-- leaves in the outer wreath outlined

-- the Gs look like Cs in the lettering

-- lack of proper Portuguese diacritical marks

Original

-- sharp designs in the national arms

-- leaves in the wreath flat

-- distinct letters, especially the Gs

-- proper diacritical marks on the C and A of "Civilisacao"

Guest Darrell

Great Comparison JB. Mine is obviously a modern copy, much like the US Victory medals that are today as well. Didn't spend much at all for it as I was pretty sure it was not of WW1 vintage :cheers:

Edited by Darrell

Indeed an excellent and very useful comparison ! Can we have a similar post on the Siam Victory Medal, that other rare and much copied one ? Having neither an original nor a copy, I for one, would like to see the differences.

• 3 years later...
    • 1 month later...

To all,

Here is a Brazil vic. It was originally on loan to me for research purposes but is now happily part of my collection. An official type 2 according to Mr Laslo's book (no edge mintmark).

Regards,

Rob

• 2 months later...

Just received another Victory Medal today. Brazil this time:

Obverse:

Hi,Darell.

This is a copy made about 13 - 14 years ago first time they where offered in den haag at the military auction from the prinsen antiekhof at the bell air hotel sold for 350,00 hfl now 160,00 euro they made 3 types of this medal all 3 times rabbies.

1st type a few mm to big and colour also wrong.

2nd wrong supspension to tin.

3rd type made it with a ball & chocolate colour like the french st helena medal

all three types where offered at the auction with space of 2 months between each auction

ribbon not made of cotton, but nylon

today they are still on the dutch market but become harder to find

tgoday you can find better copies on Ebay offered by a english dealer

Guest Darrell

Hi,Darell.

This is a copy made about 13 - 14 years ago first time they where offered in den haag at the military auction from the prinsen antiekhof at the bell air hotel sold for 350,00 hfl now 160,00 euro they made 3 types of this medal all 3 times rabbies.

1st type a few mm to big and colour also wrong.

2nd wrong supspension to tin.

3rd type made it with a ball & chocolate colour like the french st helena medal

all three types where offered at the auction with space of 2 months between each auction

ribbon not made of cotton, but nylon

today they are still on the dutch market but become harder to find

tgoday you can find better copies on Ebay offered by a english dealer

Yep I was already aware of that in my post above:

Great Comparison JB. Mine is obviously a modern copy, much like the US Victory medals that are today as well. Didn't spend much at all for it as I was pretty sure it was not of WW1 vintage

• 2 years later...

Very nice thread, including for brazilians, like me.

There is a medal exactly like the second model, but without the suspension rings. I don't know if there is a factory made or a factory not finished work. Some of these came out to the brazilian market on last 3 or 4 years.

Cheers.

Julio