News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Interesting photo of Sharp Looking German in uniform: Can anyone identify this unit?

Hello!

Can you post a larger scan? Is there something upon the shoulder straps? Wich atelier-adress is on the photo?

It´s probably 1.Garde-Regiment zu Fuß

Edited by The Prussian

It appears that the shoulder straps are blank. If that is the case, this guardsman could be from several units that had white piping. There is no indication of any rank above a basic private, so I am wondering about the visored cap. This type of cap was not normally worn by non-NCOs before the war.

Chip

Hello Chip!

He wears a 07/10 tunic, so the shoulder-strap pipings were still on corps-level. Swedish cuffs had the Garde-Rgt.zu Fuß 1-4 (5th had brandenburg cuffs).

But the pipings of the 2nd Rgt. were red, of the 3rd were yellow and of the 4th were blue. I assume we see here white pipings for the 1st Regiment

Hello Andreas!

Yes, you are correct, the Swedish cuffs make the difference. It can only be the 1.Gd.Rgt.z.Fuss. The other regiments with plain, white piped straps (5.Gd.Gren.Rgt. and 5.Gd.Rgt.z.Fuss) had Brandenburg style cuffs.

Chip