News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Lady with an unknown order

• 1 year later...

An item related to Serbian King Milan? The central monogram appears to be "M".

While somewhat similar to designs of the Serbian so-called Order or Decoration of Queen Draga and replacement Order or Decoration of Queen Natalie, among other format differences, neither of these have a 'garter-style [with buckle]' motto ring. However, there may be a small coat of arms device at the lower wreath junction similar to those of the two Serbian awards mentioned above. These elements may offer identification clues.

• 3 months later...

With the horse in the middle, perhaps it's some kind of Ladie's Order from the Duchy of Brunswick or from the Kingdom of Hanover.

After the lost "German War" of 1866 (Hanover fought alongside with Austria and other German states against Prussia and his german allies),

the Kingdom was conquered and annected by the Kingdom of Prussia.

So the last King Georg V. and a lot of hanoveran nobles moved to Vienna and other austrian cities or their austrian manors.

Unfortunately this is not my concentration area.

Leo

It looks very similar to the Order of Natalie (my fav! :D ) If you compare the N in natalie it is the same style and font as this M order one here, the crown and basic outline is similar as well. It could be of a lesser class that it lacks the wreath, but who knows. Lots of principalities and countries shared designers if one liked someone else's styling :)

Sorry, I really thought it is a horse in the middle!

I should clean my classes more often!

Rogi is right, it really looks very similar to the Order of Queen Natalja or the Order of Queen Draga.

Perhaps something out of the Balkans.

Leo

Dear Leo and Rogi, thanks for following the thread!

I still doubt it could be one of those Serbian Queen orders as their design seems to be quite different from that worn by the unknown Lady from the portrait in question.

Edited by Freiwillige

They have similarities, if you look at the Order of Natalie, this is a first class(I think :D), courtesy of Radmilo :)

If you reduce the class to 2nd or 3rd the medal loses certain aspects of the design (ie the wreath isn't flamboyant etc I'll post a pic)

post-7937-0-55864200-1366387311_thumb_zp

Heres the 2nd class, its from emedals, I wish I could afford to buy this one :D its pretty much tied for my fav. medal of all time :D

S380_zps094932ba.jpg

Again it depends if there using cyrillic script or not, but when you look at the first pic. The N is the same font as your M, it doesn't mean its a king's order, it could be a queen's or motherhood award, representing a female that was active in the motherhood organisations.

Edited by Rogi