News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Early (Condor Legion?) Silver Wound Badge

Hi all,

Just got this one last night and although I'm not seeing anything that's giving me even a pause I figured I'd run it past the membership. As always, any and all opinions most welcome. But I have to say... if this one turns out to be a bad one... then I think it's time for me to just hang it up. 2014.gif

Keeping my fingers crossed. Also, I'm still learning the differences between the Condor Legion and other pre WW2 WB's... so is this one CL or ? unsure.gif

Edited by Hauptmann

This type of screwback is considered controversial by many Wound Badge collectors. Detlev once featured this style in one of his "Fake of the Week" features.

Can't recall whether they are said to be a copy of a known original style or whether the style itself is bad. I've seen images on another Forum (GCA)of two of these which appear to have come from different tooling so one miught be a fake mimicking the other which is real, or both could be fake. I don't think a definitive decision was reached.

This type of screwback is considered controversial by many Wound Badge collectors. Detlev once featured this style in one of his "Fake of the Week" features.

Can't recall whether they are said to be a copy of a known original style or whether the style itself is bad. I've seen images on another Forum (GCA)of two of these which appear to have come from different tooling so one miught be a fake mimicking the other which is real, or both could be fake. I don't think a definitive decision was reached.

Dear Gordon,

THANK GOD! A response! jumping.gifjumping.gif I thought perhaps everyone had left but me... was starting to hear the crickets chirping! cheeky.gif Seriously though, thanks for getting with me on this one.

I'd no idea this was the case. All I can say is, holding it in my hands... and having quite a number in my collection (not screwbacks) from WW1 up through the 57's... seeing the detail on this one... how well it's made... even down to how well the screwback fits and moves on the post... no wobble, etc., I have to say, if it's not good... then we have a BIG PROBLEM as it would mean the fakers are getting far TOO good.

I don't know if this helps at all one way or the other but I know some WB's are magnetic and others are not... I tested it and this one is.

But again... holding it in ones hand it compares very favorably to all the other originals I have and have seen/handled over the years... which is a considerable number. Although I've not seen/handled many screwbacks and till one of my friends gave me one a couple years back (double screwback WW2) I'd never owned one... or any other Imperial or TR screwback award. So I can't really speak too much on the screwback portion... other than re: the many examples I've seen on here and the web in general, in refs, etc. But re: the WB itself... again the work is definitely what you'd expect from an original piece.

Unless more info comes to light I can only say I feel good about this one. Nothing is calling "Kirk to the bridge"... no red alert lights are coming on. I got it for a very good price so not worried in that department at all. But would be nice to have it confirmed for sure. This is a perfect example of why I, and I'm sure many others, have gotten so skittish about getting anything TR these days. But again the price was low enough that I had to take the chance.

Again many thanks for popping over the additional info. beer.gif

Dan cheers.gif

Isn't "Condor Legion" - as it relates to wound badges - a misnomer? I thought most Germans wounded in the Spanish Civil War were received the Spanish injury/prisoner medal, and families of those that were killed were presented the Spanish Cross for next of kin.

I think there was an article ages ago in one of the German magazines pointing this out as a fake.

best

Chris

Many thanks Chris. Well, I guess it's time to hang it up then... at least as far as anything outside of members here that I can trust re: anything German from any war or era, but especially anything out of the ordinary.

Very disheartening! I simply cannot tell anymore.

Dan cheers.gif

Isn't "Condor Legion" - as it relates to wound badges - a misnomer?

Kinda. Germans wounded could receive the Spanish Wound Medal for Foreigners from the Spanish authorities, as well as the German Wound Badge from their own country.

The "new" Wound Badge with swastika was first introduced on 22 May 1939 specifically for those who had been wounded in Spain. It was further renewed on 1 September 1939 for WW2. In both cases the badge was identical ( described in both original orders as being "the same as for WW1" but with the addition of the swastika.) The photographs published with the new foundation order in September 1939 show what collectors refer to as the "Legion Condor" badge and not the standard WW2 type. Current thinking leans more towards all the types previously referred to as "Legion Condor", "Prototye 1939" and "Type I 1939" are simply all just "Type I" variants.

Of course attributing all Type I Wound Badges as "Legion Condor" simply allows dealers to charge a premium price for them, despite them being issued well into WW2 !

Any objections if we move this to the fakes forum to help the database?

Excellent suggestion Chris. No problems on my end. I'd like to see this do as much good as possible so no one else ends up with one. If it saves one person from falling into the same trap then it's all been worth it. jumping.gifjumping.gifbeer.gif

Dan cheers.gif

Kinda. Germans wounded could receive the Spanish Wound Medal for Foreigners from the Spanish authorities, as well as the German Wound Badge from their own country.

Gordon, When did members of the LC receive the German wound badges -- at Doberitz when they were presented their Spanish Crosses? I'd love to see a pre-Sep '39 photo of a LC vet wearing a LC/Type 1/New Form wound badge.