News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

EARLY SWEDISH & PORTUGUESE BAYONETS

Here are two examples of Mauser bayonets - an 1896 Portuguese version and a 1904 Swedish. Quite why there are so many variations on a theme I don't know. I expect it was the preferance of the Country making the order - certainly there are lot.

One of the biggest decisions a collector has to make is how much to clean. Certainly it would be possible to restore to almost new condition, using fine wire or copper wool and oil. For myself I think a good clean down with some oil allows a natural patina to remain - after all, the Portuguese one is 115 years old.

I will not go into a great detail - the bayonets are well known. It is just interesting to see how great the variations were. However, I would ask that if you wish to add background - then please go ahead.

Mervyn

I believe it was a case of Mauser granting a license for the overseas manufacture of their designs to so many different countries which led to so many different examples being available to the collector. A very nice collecting theme, especially the South American bayonets. :cheers:

Simon

Markings on the Swedish blade - these show that it was used in their Navy.

Hello Mervyn!

This m/1896 bayonet could well have been used by the Swedish Navy - provided of course they were issued with it (it's beyond my knowledge) - but the marking is that of the Eskilstuna Jernmanufaktur, thus a maker's mark. I don't know if Swedish bayonets could be traced to certain units, there would be thousands issued, but sabres issued to the mounted units were marked down to squadron/battery. If the blurry stamp is what I think it is, then it could be the individual stamp within a certain unit (company/regiment).

/Jonas