News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Sweden: General Carl C.son VAN HORN

Dear Forum members

I do not think this gentleman has been mentioned here. I have searched the Forums without success.

I am enjoying his book, Soldiering for Peace.

[a] Can a Forum member post a clear head and shoulders photo of Gen. van Horn showing his medals/ribbons?

Can someone tell us when he died, please?

Thanks in advance

:cheers:

William

Hello William!

A/ Here's a link to a photo: Carl von Horn

B/ He died in 1989

As to his ribbons, at a quick glance I saw the Order of the Sword, some WW2 Finnish medals as well as some Volunteer Associations medals, nothing unusual for an officer of his rank at that time. I'll see if there's a colour photo lurking somewhere.

/Jonas

Wow Jonas. That was quick!!

Please try to find the color picture. He should have had four UN medal ribbons as well: UNEF, UNTSO, ONUC, and UNYOM.

Thanks!

William

William,

I don't know about UNEF, according to Swedish Wikipedia, it seems like UNTSO, ONUC and UNYOM were the only UN missions he served in (but then again, it's Wikipedia...). He also served as a military attaché in Norway and Denmark, so he might have got something from that service too (ribbon #10 of 15, Norwegian?). Does he wear a couple of UN ribbons as #2 and #3? It looks like the early ONUC version and UNTSO.

/Jonas

I don't know about UNEF, according to Swedish Wikipedia, it seems like UNTSO, ONUC and UNYOM were the only UN missions he served in

I guessed UNEF because he was chief of staff in Jerusalem at the time, and mentions UNEF several times in the book. I am possibly out of line.

Does he wear a couple of UN ribbons as #2 and #3? It looks like the early ONUC version and UNTSO

I agree. It looks that way.

In this photograph dated 1958, taken from his book, he sports a (seemingly all-metal) breast badge of an Order (Vasa?)

Probably the Order of the Sword...

Fantastic!

We need a colour portrait of the old man.

Did you know he was FORBIDDEN by his seniors to enter Finland in 1940. He sent his troops in on the land route around the head of the Gulf, then drove himself across the frozen Gulf of Bothnia, but was forced to turn around in the outskirts of Vaasa and drove back.

William!

On the Life photo there seems to be an officer to the left (British?, he's wearing the ribbon of the 1939-45 Star), whose last ribbon looks like the UNEF ribbon, von Horn returned to Palestine after his Congo mission, so he certainly met UNEF personnel on a regular basis even if he wasn't on the UNEF roll himself.

No, I didn't know about the Finland thing. What I just found out though is that he had some problems as a young Second Lieutenant serving with Livgardet till häst (Horse Guards). His father and the GOC the Cavalry Inspection were brothers-in-law and they detested each other, predictably von Horn was caught in between a rock and a hard place when his regiment was up for review! He did however seem to have performed less than average on field exercises, which may have been a legit reason for the general to be less than satisfied with him.

/Jonas

He ... seems to have performed less than average on field exercises, which may have been a legit reason for the general to be less than satisfied with him.

Yes. He goes into that episode in quite a lot of detail in his memoirs. He says humourously that he was finally allowed to pass out from the equitation centre because they couldn't bear to have him there any longer!

His father was (by his description) very stupid, but a very skilled horseman.