News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

french miniature for 3rd class LoH

stanislaw

• 2 weeks later...

no ideas?

stanislaw,

Usually, a Commander class badge of the Legion of honor (or any other order which is first in preseance) is not worn as a miniature, but full size around the neck.

Nevertheless, miniature Commander badges will occur when foreigh recipients wear their own national commander class badges to their necks.

In such a case, an officer's gold miniature badge is worn, with a short silver ribbon (canapé) under the rosette sewn on the red suspension ribbon.

When only the reduction badges of the orders were worn directly on a chain without ribbons, a foreign recipient of the Legion d'honneur would simply wear a gold badge with no further mark of distinction.

Hope this does not seem too confused. I have tried my best.

Regards

Veteran

Edited by Veteran

Thank you

so when a foreign diplomat would wear his reductions...the others with ribbons.....or would he only wear them on a chain?....he would wear a gold miniature badge?

do you have an example of what one would look like?

sorry for the bother

thanks

stanislaw,

Usually, a Commander class badge of the Legion of honor (or any other order which is first in preseance) is not worn as a miniature, but full size around the neck.

Nevertheless, miniature Commander badges will occur when foreigh recipients wear their own national commander class badges to their necks.

In such a case, an officer's gold miniature badge is worn, with a short silver ribbon (canapé) under the rosette sewn on the red suspension ribbon.

When only the reduction badges of the orders were worn directly on a chain without ribbons, a foreign recipient of the Legion d'honneur would simply wear a gold badge with no further mark of distinction.

Hope this does not seem too confused. I have tried my best.

Regards

Veteran

Thank you

so when a foreign diplomat would wear his reductions...the others with ribbons.....or would he only wear them on a chain?....he would wear a gold miniature badge?

do you have an example of what one would look like?

sorry for the bother

thanks

I thought it would be hard do explain. Don't worry, the situation for a Commander's miniature badge to be worn by a foreign diplomate is rare.

All the best

Veteran

• 10 months later...

French citizens AND foreigners may wear miniatures of the type kindly shown by Graf--although Graf's example is a deluxe model with a brilliant at the wreath top and brilliants replacing the usual white enamel in the badge body. French award statutes usually specify miniature design and display parameters, especially for order insignia.

Miniature display method----National usages usually determine whether badges are suspended from a ribbon attached to a bar OR whether they are directly attached to a small chain.

French [and most other national] practice almost always uses the bar with ribbon method nowadays. This approach allows the grade of an award to be clearly indicated by appurtenances attached to the ribbon [Graf's commander ribbon shows the rosette upon a silver bullion tape canapé; a knight uses a simple ribbon, an officer a simple rosette, a grand officer a rosette upon a half silver-half gold canapé, and a grand cross a rosette upon a gold canapé]. In most cases, chain display makes award grade difficult to determine.

Before WW I, the chain method was often used in mainland Europe [Austria, for example, even had special miniature chains designed for use with specific orders when worn in miniature] while the UK and other countries used the ribbon method more often. Of course plenty of exceptions can be found. German miniature groups of that era seem to be split into both types, maybe depending on the wearer's individual state origin?