News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The Transvaal Police were formed in 1908 and replaced or took over the duties and responsibilities of the South African Constabulary.

They were absorbed into the South African Police in 1913.

I remember some police in the Transvaal in the 80's, not "Transvaal Police" and they were nasty pieces of work. A lot thinner than the fatties we have today. You wouldn't want to spent a night at the Rosettenville police station on a friday night, nor Cleveland or Brixton either. :-)

• 3 years later...

How can I search for members of the Transvaal Police, 1908 to 1913?

I have a distant relative (William John Irvine) who deserted from the Irish guards rather than face punishment for a comment about the drunken Prince of Wales (later King Edward VII).

If I have the right man he claimed, when joining the Canadian Expeditionary Force at Calgary in 1914, previous service (2 years) in the Transvaal Police. He served on the Western Front in WW1, and was discharged in Canada in June 1919, then returned to his place of birth in County Down, Ireland.

King Edward 7th reigned from 1901 to 1910. Therefore it is possible that he might have served with the Transvaal Police.

Actually, two Forces were established at the same time - the Transvaal and the Pretoria. Do you know which Military unit he served with during the Boer War - I think they would have looked for previous service.

There is a main South African Police Museum in Pretoria and it is just possible that the old records would have been kept. You will be able to find their address on-line and contact them.

I do agree that Edward was a drunken old womaniser - but, to desert for him ! The Irish Guards were formed

in 1900 - so, fairly unlikely that he would have been in time to serve in Boer War. The other problem I have

is that the newly formed Transvaal Police would have wanted a military record as a testimonial - and you say

he deserted. I am afraid that you may find he was never in the Force Mervyn

Mervyn.

I agree that his past military record could be a problem - obviously the Canadian military were only too glad to get a volunteer, and didn't ask for his record.

My only cousin in Northern Ireland has an old photo of a young uniformed man wearing a "pillbox" hat. He thinks it is Willy John (not the hat!).

To me, the young man looks more like a bandsman, and I would guess that the Transvaal Police would wear something like a bush hat.

I have emailed the Museum in Pretoria, so I can only wait..

Thank you, I do appreciate your suggestions. Maybe I'll try a long shot and try a letter to a local newspaper in Lisburn, County Down.

Maurice Irvine