News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Cuban Victory Medals

Hi Peron,

Your medal seems to have the characteristics of the Official type - apart from not having the Chobillon mark. Does it have the C Charles signature on the obverse? It certainly isn't the same as my locally-produced version. Are there any signs of it being cast?

Bill

Hi Bill

No it doesn't have de C.Charles signature...but as great detail on the engraving...if it is a copy/replica is a good one!!!

What are the cast signs that I may look for on this kind of medal?

Thx

P.

Edited by peron

• Replies 174
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Peron.

It is a modern copy, currently manufactured in England. This manufacturer produces other medals rare and hard to find, are copies with very reasonable prices, not more than that.

Inclusive eu tenho uma também ... ;)

:cheers:

Lambert

Edited by lambert

Hi Lambert,

It certainly looks like the one you posted on the Fakes thread. The ones sold on eBay by the seller in Birmingham, England are much darker brown and the suspension ring is cast solid with the planchet.

Bill

Hi Bill,
    I made a comparison chart .. certainly it is the same copy. I believe that may be a copy with a different aging treatment .. the copy that I have had a more brilliant and a darker glaze. This may vary depending on when it was manufactured.

Lambert

• 1 month later...

Hi Jean-Michel,

I notice on the reverse of your medal that many of the letters in the names of the countries are 'filled-in'. On page 32 of the locked thread at the top of this section (second one down) http://gmic.co.uk/index.php/topic/17245-ww1-victory-medals-of-the-world/page-32#entry451860 there is a photo of a very similar version at the bottom of the page, with a comparison shot of a 'standard' Official Type showing some other differences as well. However, the edge marks look good and there is speculation that Chobillon used two dies to produce the Cuban vic.

Bill

Edited by Bilco

• 6 months later...

HI Lambert,

When you say unofficial - does it have any marks on the edge? It seems to have the characteristics of the type that has raised differing views - the reverse has the M in Rumania and Montenegro as an upside down W, the position of the F in Francia, the IA in Grecia slightly raised etc.

Bill

I have not seen the brand. I am in negotiation with the seller of this item. I will ask for verification photos.
    But if it is equal to other examples already seen, I believe that is marked.

Lambert

• 2 weeks later...
    • 3 weeks later...
    • 2 months later...
    for all

Interesting item sold on ebay,

"You are bidding on a RARE and VINTAGE MEDAL item of WORLD WAR 1 HISTORY and CUBAN MEDAL Memorabilia. Up for auction is this GENUINE WORLD WAR 1 Interallied VICTORY MEDAL. This GEUINE MEDAL up for auction is the SECOND VERSION of the CUBAN VICTORY MEDAL which was made in CUBA (Note: The 1st Medal version was made by Designer: Charles Chobillon in France). THIS 2nd Version of the Cuban WW1 VICTORY MEDAL was NOT hallmarked and had NO triangle sign and material indication „Bronze“ in outer rim. Very BEAUTIFUL MEDAL DESIGN: standing figure of a Winged Victory (comes from Nike-goddes of the Victory in the Greek mythology) and Cuban Coat of Arms on reverse side. This RARE and GENUINE CUBAN WORLD WAR ONE MEDAL measures app. 1 3/8” inches (35 millimeters) of diameter and is in VERY GOOD condition: minor wear. Please see scans for judging overall quality or ask questions prior to bidding. I am glad to send more detailed scans on request. This is an AWESOME and GENUINE MEDAL item – great for any collector of CUBAN MILITARY HISTORY and VINTAGE WORLD WAR ONE MEDAL Memorablia."

Type Charles

ID. 380748552907
    Edited by lambert

Lambert,

Eu tenho um pouco de dificuldade com esta medalha. É o primeiro desse tipo que eu já vi. Poderia um original feito em Cuba, sim, poderia ser "mas". A principal coisa que eu acho é a medalha e uma bola são feitas de dois tipos diferentes de metal. A própria medalha é da mesma cor que uma moeda EUA (avermelhado), onde, como a bola parece estar mais perto de uma cor de bronze. Qualquer um gostaria de pesar sobre isso.

Lambert,

I have a little bit of trouble with this medal. It is the first of this type I have ever seen. Could it an original made in Cuba, yes it could be "but". The main thing I find is the Medal and ball are made of two different types of metal. The medal itself is of the same color as a U.S. penny (reddish) where as the ball seems to be closer to a brass color. Anyone like to weigh in on this.

Regards, Jim

You are right Jim.

There is a difference in the metal used for this medal, as the ball was "deployed" another medal, maybe just a replacement of the original medalhar "lost or damaged", of course, are just guesses.

Lambert

Lambert

Without another medal to compare it to that makes it hard to catalog as one type or another type. So I ask you are they asking too much for the medal or not enough? Are there marks on the rim? Where did he get this medal? If he say's at an estate sale then I say "RUN". do not buy

Sem outra medalha para compará-lo ao que o torna difícil de catalogar como um tipo ou de outro tipo. Então, peço-lhe que eles estão pedindo muito para que a medalha ou não é suficiente? marcas no aro? Onde ele conseguiu essa medalha? Se ele diz é em uma venda da propriedade, então eu digo "Executar". não compre.

HI Gents,

I thought a comparison of the 'Rare And Vintage' Cuba vic with a couple of others would be of interest. In each triptych the left medal is the real deal, the centre is the medal under suspicion, and the right medal is my gilded, Cuban-produced version, possibly by VILARDEBO y RIERA of Havana.

cuban301_zps0905bdc7.jpg

Obverses

cuban302_zps725e3b1b.jpg

Reverses

On the obverses there are clear differences between the figure of Victory on the suspect medal and the other two - wings, robe, arms, toes, sword and laurel branch.

On the reverses the suspect medal shows many differences in the size and position of the lettering, the leaves and cap, and the Cuba coat of arms on the shield shows many differences - the 'clouds' around the key at the top, and the palm tree and hills in the lower right quarter.

Of interest, in the obverse view the suspension of the suspect medal is very slightly canted to the right, while in the reverse view it's rather more canted to the right, which shows that the reverse is skewed to the left in relation to the obverse. The suspension ball does seem to be a different colour to the planchet, and it seems to have been rather squashed at some time.

All very interesting, of course, but it doesn't tell us if this is a contemporary copy, made in Cuba as the seller claims or elsewhere, or a modern production made to look well aged. If mine was produced by a top-quality firm like VILARDEBO y RIERA, the suspect medal was made by a less skilled establishment, less concerned with quality. Was there a market for low-cost medals amongst the Cuban soldiery, as there was in France?

Bill

Edited by Bilco