News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Cuban Victory Medals

• Replies 174
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Gah.  I had looked through the Michels book and found it to be indistinguishable from an unofficial type 2, but you're right in that the reverse appears to be the same misstrike as the one you have here.  At $75, it did not set me back nearly as much as a typical Cuban medal would, but maybe I'll still see if I can get it returned.  I have over 40 vics now, and this seems to be the first time I've been fooled.

Yes, 75.00 $  is very cheap for an original Vic Cuba, do not say that this could not happen because it happened to me, I acquired rare Vics with an excellent price. But it is good to be sure that it is really original or an original variant of the same era.

Here I rescued the advertisement and seller of my Cuban copy.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/COPY-of-full-size-CUBA-WWI-VICTORY-Medal-/282583134936?hash=item41cb4472d8:g:FSoAAOSwUKxYZRd6

"and this seems to be the first time I've been fooled. "

This sometimes happens, serves as learning.

Good luck! :cheers:

Lambert

Edited by lambert

• 2 weeks later...
    On 8/11/2017 at 11:07, davidck said:

Gah.  I had looked through the Michels book and found it to be indistinguishable from an unofficial type 2, but you're right in that the reverse appears to be the same misstrike as the one you have here.  At $75, it did not set me back nearly as much as a typical Cuban medal would, but maybe I'll still see if I can get it returned.  I have over 40 vics now, and this seems to be the first time I've been fooled.

Hello David,

Notwithstanding that you are out of pocket some money, I would probably keep it as an education opportunity. Having modern reproductions to review in hand is as probaly as good as having the genuine example.

The sort of bronze coloured reproduction that is illustrated above are quite common an eminate from the UK. Most of the vic series have been so reproduced all in the same sort of base metal. In this particular example the reverse planchet die flaws are common across a range of Cuban reproductions so keeping one close by for reference is a good idea.

Regards,
    Rob

• 2 months later...

Just acquired, this Cuban-made Victory medal by Vilardebo y Riera. On the first page of this thread, first and second post, there is a group of medals posted by RobW, showing another example of this variety. It is shiny gilt, with a thin planchet, the obverse striking is shallow without a background to the figure, while on the reverse the lettering at the top is hard against the rim. Jim Michel's book classifies this version as Unofficial Type 2.

oCqKiVl.jpg

Tn8A8GF.jpg

This one has a strange small suspension ring - possibly to go on a fob chain? I have sourced a replacement ring and a suitable ribbon to restore the medal.

All comments welcome.

Bill

Edited by Bilco
    Photos

• 2 weeks later...
    • 2 months later...
    • 2 weeks later...
    On 2/5/2018 at 04:34, davidck said:

Believe me I got the real thing this time.  Unofficial type 2.

757F651F-3B87-475A-A07E-C3B45EECA5F5.jpeg

Hello David,

A nice pick-up. I would recommend that you obtain some older French produced vic ribbon, as that would keep the piece correct to type and period.

Regards,
    Rob

• 7 months later...
    • 4 weeks later...
    • 2 weeks later...

Hello Paul,

There are only estimates of medals awarded which is not necessarily consistent with actual combatant numbers.  The original decrees (Decree 905 10 June 1922 for Navy, and Decree 1155 27 August 1924 for Army) does also not make reference to any police personnel.

Laslo quotes a figure of 6,000-7,000 medals issued, with that number drawn from a Dr. K.G. Klietmann work published in a 1981 OMRS article.

Given the paucity of available records, and the difficulty of confirming any details, out of Cuba, I think we will be left with estimates for the time being.

Regards,
    Rob

• 6 months later...
    On 05/11/2018 at 04:29, Paul R said:

Thank you.  Estimates are good for me.  I hope none were destroyed after the communist take-over... they were rare enough as it was.

Hello Paul,

I would agree that it is becoming a bit more difficult to find a Cuban vic in good condition, although they are much more prevalent in the market than the Brazil vic, type 2.  A quick online search shows there are a few cuban examples for sale but some of them have been 'cleaned' which removes the lovely darker patina that bronze medals have.  Ebay has a number of interesting rules which preclude obtaining items of cuban provenance.

Depending on how much you have to spend you should be able to still pick up a cuban vic.  The more difficult to find, in good condition, is the Brazil vic, type 2 with the Brazil vic, type 1 almost impossible to find.

Good luck in your search.

Regards,
    Rob

• 2 months later...
    • 2 weeks later...
    • 11 months later...

Здравствуйте!

Моя покупка Неофициальный Тип 1.

Диаметр 35,7 мм, толщина 2,3 мм

С уважением!

Неофициальный тип 1 аверс.jpg

Неофициальный тип 1 реерс.jpg