News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Czechoslovakian Victory Medals

Hello Sergio,

Hello,

Yes it is a good example, Type 2 official, the ribbon is modern replacement.

Lambert

I would clarify the comments from Lambert. The ribbon attached to your Czechoslovak vic is not necessarily a 'modern replacement'. It was produced at the same time as the Reissue type 1 and Reissue type 2 by the firm of Karnet & Kysely. This occurred between 1945-1948 so it is both correct to type and period and it is not uncommon to see the official Czechoslovak vics on this type of ribbon.

Great! Thank you.

Pity for the ribbon, unfortunately most of my Interallied Medals have new ribbons...

If you can find it I would attempt to replace any modern era nylon ribbon with correct to era french ribbon as that was also consistently used with vics from a number of countries and would be more correct...

Regards,
    Rob

Edited by RobW

• Replies 135
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thank you for the clarification. If I understand correctly, the medal is an official issue of the first wave (let's say after WW1) while the ribbon comes from a medal produced the 1945-48.

Were these ribbons available to those veterans willing to replace the original one after 25 years of wearing? :D

Hello Sergio,

Thank you for the clarification. If I understand correctly, the medal is an official issue of the first wave (let's say after WW1) while the ribbon comes from a medal produced the 1945-48.

Were these ribbons available to those veterans willing to replace the original one after 25 years of wearing? :D

What needs to be taken into account is that Czechoslovak Legion members sewed their medals directly to the tunic, or attached them to boule suspenders, and there are numerous pictures available to show this. No doubt over the passage of time some of these ribbons would have become worn and would have needed to be replaced.

There are numerous pics on this thread that showed the thicker weave and unblended type of ribbon common to Czechoslovak vics that was used in the first period (1920-1945). After 1945 and the Karnet & Kysely produced models appeared the newer blend or weave of ribbon is seen on those medals. Following the communist takeover in February 1948 the Karnet & Kysely firm was nationalised, so remaining records from that firm are not available.

While you can never be 100% sure I would suggest that if a particular veteran wanted to replace their medal ribbon they would source whatever stocks were available locally, either from manufacturers or tailors. If the Karnet & Kysely produced ribbon was available it would have been an option.

Regards,
    Rob

Edited by RobW

• 2 months later...

Got this in the mail today. This is the only Lejsek Czechoslovakian medal I have seen so far, and is probably the rarest medal I have yet to collect.

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_04_2014/post-16545-0-00783600-1396884616.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_04_2014/post-16545-0-05657900-1396884649.jpg

And closeups of the LA markings:

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_04_2014/post-16545-0-71594600-1396884737.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_04_2014/post-16545-0-01516800-1396884762.jpg

• 1 year later...

It is a Type 2 Medal Signed (this in good condition) the Ribbon is a replacement has a "Linden sheet" this is not common, the "Linden sheet" is seen more often in the Revolutionary Medal (Czech).It is usually not authorized any clip or distitivo the Ribbon Medal of Victory, with the exception of the USA (Battle of staples), Portugal (Buckle and Star),  and the British (MID).

tchecrevolutionn.thumb.jpeg.9fac5a556d97

Edited by lambert

• 1 year later...

hi guys,

I'd appreciate your thoughts on this one.

unsigned, similar/identical (but the hallmark) to one mentioned on page 3 of this thread as 'french made'.

Having come across this one on ebay, I found it rather unusual a type.

Ribbon I presume is a modern replacement.

many thanks,

s.

vic1.JPG

vic2.JPG

Hello Skyeman,

Yes; this is a nice French produced reproduction.  Sometimes they have a hallmark or the word BRONZE on the rim, but not in all cases.  As you have surmised it is indeed modern replacement ribbon.  If you can find some original French ribbon that would be more correct to type.

Regards,
    Rob

9 hours ago, skyeman said:

hi guys,

I'd appreciate your thoughts on this one.

unsigned, similar/identical (but the hallmark) to one mentioned on page 3 of this thread as 'french made'.

Having come across this one on ebay, I found it rather unusual a type.

Ribbon I presume is a modern replacement.

many thanks,

s.

10 hours ago, RobW said:

Hello Skyeman,

Yes; this is a nice French produced reproduction.  Sometimes they have a hallmark or the word BRONZE on the rim, but not in all cases.  As you have surmised it is indeed modern replacement ribbon.  If you can find some original French ribbon that would be more correct to type.

Regards,
    Rob

hi Rob,

many thanks! I have contacted  two of my friends -- fellow medal collectors  in Czech and both of them agreed this design is rather uncommon among Czech collectors which points out to a foreign manufacture; one of them suggested Chobillion manufacture.

is this type recognized  by Lazslo or should I read the 'reproduction' word as 'fake'? (I do not own the book as VicMedals are not my field).

1 hour ago, skyeman said:

hi Rob,

many thanks! I have contacted  two of my friends -- fellow medal collectors  in Czech and both of them agreed this design is rather uncommon among Czech collectors which points out to a foreign manufacture; one of them suggested Chobillion manufacture.

is this type recognized  by Lazslo or should I read the 'reproduction' word as 'fake'? (I do not own the book as VicMedals are not my field).

Hello Skyeman,

The term 'reproduction' in this context does not mean fake.  These French produced reproduction were produced in the 1920's and 1930's timeframe so they are definitely current to the era.  Some are maker marked on the rim and others are not.  Either way they are quite distinctive and well made and are definitely slightly different in design to the official strikes found in Czechoslovakia at the time.

There are two French produced reproductions listed in the Laslo volume:

1. Repro Type 1 - details and finish as per your listed examplet.

2. Repro Type 3 - a cast version of the Repro type 1.

As your Czech collector friends have mentioned these French produced reproductions are quite difficult to find in good condition.  A good pickup.

Regards,
    Rob

Hello Skyeman,

The 'type id' for the Reimer produced Belgian vics depends on the which country you are referring to.  In Mr Laslo's volume he lists the Riemer produced Belgian vic in both the Belgium and Czechoslovakia entries.  In both cases they are referred to as the 'Unofficial Type 2'.  As a result you could refer to them as:

1. Belgian unofficial type 2.

2. Czechoslovak unofficial type 2.

Either way it is also of benefit to include the clarification 'Riemer' variety.  Having said that there is also great sub-variety in the Riemer produced models, with small differences in the ball suspender, and finish of the planchet.

I hope that this is of use.

Regards,
    Rob

13 hours ago, skyeman said:

one more question: what is Lazslo's "type id" of the Czech made (Reimer) "Belgian Style" medals?

ty.

• 1 month later...
    • 2 weeks later...

Hello Alex,

This is what is termed an 'official type 2' with the name of the designer on the obverse.  While I can't see the entire ribbon it too looks original, un-blended to type.  A nice example in good condition.

1.jpg

This example is what is known as a 'Reissue type 2' from the mid to late 1940's era, that does not have the designers name on the obverse.  There are two sub-types with the main difference being in the medal finish; either having a gold-gilt or flat brassy finish.  In this case it is difficult to tell by the picture.  It too has the correct to type and era ribbon.

2.jpg

Regards,
    Rob

Edited by RobW
    typo

• 1 month later...
    On 23/07/2016 at 18:26, bryansk1959 said:

Hello Rob.Thank you very much! Here ribbon.

s-l400-3.jpg

Hello Alex,

The ribbon is correct to the era and it is the correct un-blended ribbon commonly seen on the Czech vics.  A nice example.

Regards,
    Rob

• 2 weeks later...
    • 2 weeks later...
    • 2 months later...

Dear All,

I would like to ask for your opinion on my Czech victory medal. All details look correct to me, only the ribbon is a replaced one (looks like a british ribbon).

The only thing that concerns me is the damaged/dented part on the right side of the obverse of the medal. Is it some regular damage happened during the years or the medal is a restrike/copy and that small "fault" coming from the lower quality strike?

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Bence

thumbnail_SDC10011 (1).jpg

thumbnail_SDC10037.jpg

Hello Bill,

Thank you for your quick reply and the feedback on the medal. It is good to know that this piece is an original period item, it will be a great addition to my victory medal collection.

Many thanks again for your help.

Bence

• 2 months later...