News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

• Replies 155
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...

Hi Gents - my latest acquisition. It appears to be the Morlon Re-issue in shiny finish that Rob mentiones in post #49.

The photos:

frenchreissue01.jpg

Obverse ...

frenchreissue02.jpg

... and reverse.

The colour is very light brass/gold, it's very sharply struck, with the Paris Mint cornucopia and BR.

Any comments welcome.

Bill

• 3 months later...

Hello

As You know Serbia did not issue a Victory medal but finaly this Year issue the Badge for 11.November I hope next year it will be more official.If anybody is interested I will send him the photo of the badge Serba-Natalia Ramonda flover and rebbon in colors of Albania crossing Dark green and two black stripes.

my e-mail jovanmara@gmail.com

REGARDS

Jovan

Hello

As You know Serbia did not issue a Victory medal but finaly this Year issue the Badge for 11.November I hope next year it will be more official.If anybody is interested I will send him the photo of the badge Serba-Natalia Ramonda flover and rebbon in colors of Albania crossing Dark green and two black stripes.

my e-mail jovanmara@gmail.com

REGARDS

Jovan

Hello Jovan,

Welcome to the forum. I am sure you will find many experienced collectors here, on the vic series, that will be able to help with any queries.

I would suggest this is moved to the 'Other Victory Medal / Related Items' sub-thread. That way the focus of this thread can be the French victory medal. If you have a picture you may want to post it on the 'Other Victory Medal / Related Items' sub-thread for the benefit of all the vic collectors.

Regards,

Rob

Edited by RobW

Hi Peron,

You have the Official Type 1 - designed by Morlon - made by Janvier-Berchot. The triangle has the cross and initials JB, with BR for bronze alongside. There is another example posted in this thread - page 3 #46. It also comes with the triangle alone - on this thread there are a couple of examples - page 2 #29 and #36.

See also http://gmic.co.uk/index.php/topic/46156-french-hallmarks/

Bill

Edited by Bilco

Hi Gents,

For a bit more info about Janvier-Berchot see http://www.coinbooks.org/esylum_v14n41a21.html

For a lot more about Janvier follow the link at the bottom to http://medalblog.wordpress.com/2010/12/27/janviers_pantograph/

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Peron,

A nice example of the Belgium Unofficial Type 3 - or France Unofficial Type 3! Laslo has it under both countries, but I believe it was made for the French market.

Are you going to replace the ribbon?

Bill

Hi Peron,

A nice example of the Belgium Unofficial Type 3 - or France Unofficial Type 3! Laslo has it under both countries, but I believe it was made for the French market.

Are you going to replace the ribbon?

Bill

-Thanks...I think I am going to keep the original ribbon...

• 2 weeks later...

Peron's post 69 above shows a metal mounting 'triangle' sometimes used when medals were individually awarded 'en masse'. Examples include 'passing out' parades or national day celebrations when tens of persons were decorated at the same time with the same award, usually by the same official.

Awardees would have a metal bar, U shaped pin, or wide cloth tape or thread already attached to their clothing so that the medal 'presenter' could just slip the triangle through that attachment &, voila, the medal hung from the clothing. This saved time and avoided possibility of 'stabbing' recipients with fork type pins.

Colonel Guayadier described this arrangement in a late 1950's Sabretache article. At that time, other French enthusiasts posited that this method could be used when an wounded, disabled or elderly person presented medals. A 1970s piece in the now-defunct Swiss collector society's Phalaristic Journal mentioned it as well, perhaps citing Guayadier's work. Unfortunately, I do not have those references to hand for an exact citation.

British and Commonwealth presenters sometimes use a somewhat similar procedure hanging the award on a metal hook preattached to recipient's clothing.

From time to time, auction catalogs or eBay lisitngs offer French medals with this type device.

Hi 922F,

Many thanks for the very interesting information about the brass triangle on Peron's French vic. It makes perfect sense now!

Your comment "British and Commonwealth presenters sometimes use a somewhat similar procedure hanging the award on a metal hook preattached to recipient's clothing." reminded me of the passage in Robert Stanford-Tuck's autobiography, where he describes arriving at Buckingham Palace to receive a decoration from the King, and finding that he should have had a small hook sewn onto his uniform for the King to hang it from. A 'blushing WAAF' supplied a suitable hook, snipped from her underclothing, and it was quickly stitched on. It did the job, and the King didn't comment on the fact that it was pink instead of the regulation black.

Bill

Hi all,
    I'll show you in a few French papers friendly.
    Firstly, a port authorization ribbon medal victory dated November 22, 1919 while the decree dated 2 November 1919.
    Always the same person authorizing the diploma port medal dated 7 December 1922 when the decree dated 20 July 1922.
    The diploma is not the prescribed format.
    It may be noted that the captain concerned has not lost time to recover the diplomas.
    Then I made a mounting frame to make it prettier.
    Regards
    Jean-Michel