News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Brazilian Victory Medals

Hello Gentlemen,

I am pleased to show to colleagues, Vic Brazil Type 1. marked on the edge.
    This medal is in the collection of a colleague of Rio Grande do Sul.

13934965_1462992800393155_1689301038414141515_n copy.jpg

Photo: Rudnei Cunha

it's not everyday we can see one of these. :)

BR

Lambert

21 hours ago, paul wood said:

Wonderful Lambert never seen one in 38 years.

Paul

I do not, This photo appears in a conversation about medals the Navy of Brazil, it was a very pleasant surprise. I was very excited, wanted to show the novelty here Forums.

Lambert

• 4 weeks later...
    On 23/08/2016 at 23:26, lambert said:

I do not, This photo appears in a conversation about medals the Navy of Brazil, it was a very pleasant surprise. I was very excited, wanted to show the novelty here Forums.

Lambert

Hello Lambert and Paul,

It took me over 20 years of collecting vics before I found and managed to obtain a Brazil type 1 with the rim markings.  Aside from the Portugal official type 1 I consider the Brazil vic type 1 the rarest of the regular issues.  Having said that some of the unofficial strikes are also particularly rare.  With the passage of time the scarcity is only likely to increase although I remain hopeful, that with the reach of the internet, more examples will appear from Brazil.

Regards,
    Rob

Well, I've bin an' gorn an' dun it!

Liverpool Medals latest list had a Brazil Official Type 2 featured on it so, after careful scrutiny of the photos, I bought it! Here are the photos for you Gents to check over and give your expert opinions:

Obverse ...

brazil%20001-crop_zps7uvfc0kk.jpg

... and close-up ...

brazil%20001-crop2_zps1ns9x7kk.jpg

... and reverse ...

brazil%20002-crop_zpsrrh549qt.jpg

... and close-up

brazil%20002-crop2_zpswnnivz5m.jpg

As far as I can see the medal exhibits the features of the genuine article: it's yellowish tone; obverse has feathers in the wings indistinct, leaves in the wreath flattish with central vein, initials J S  at the bottom of the ray at the 7 o'clock; reverse has sharply defined national arms, flat leaves in the wreath, distinct letters especially the G, and the proper diacritical marks on the C and A of Civilisacao.

There are traces of guilding around the figure on the obverse. The pin for attachment to the jacket is of a type I haven't seen before.

Of course, these medals aren't cheap, but the asking price compared well with other examples I've seen offered recently.  I won't have any pennies left in the medal fund for a while.

Gentlemen, I await your verdict.

Bill

Edited by Bilco
    mis-spelling

Hello Bil!

Congratulations, it's a very beautiful example of MV Brazil, with support brooch. It is not common to see this brooch, but it is authentic .. I have seen in Brazilian medals early twentieth century ..

medalha-vitoria-interaliada-1-guerra-tipo-2-italia-162521-MLB20789369367_062016-F.jpg

medalha-vitoria-interaliada-1-guerra-tipo-2-italia-485421-MLB20789367424_062016-F.jpg

Best Regards

Lambert

Edited by lambert

• 3 weeks later...
    On 22/09/2016 at 01:29, Bilco said:

Well, I've bin an' gorn an' dun it!

Liverpool Medals latest list had a Brazil Official Type 2 featured on it so, after careful scrutiny of the photos, I bought it! Here are the photos for you Gents to check over and give your expert opinions:

As far as I can see the medal exhibits the features of the genuine article: it's yellowish tone; obverse has feathers in the wings indistinct, leaves in the wreath flattish with central vein, initials J S  at the bottom of the ray at the 7 o'clock; reverse has sharply defined national arms, flat leaves in the wreath, distinct letters especially the G, and the proper diacritical marks on the C and A of Civilisacao.

There are traces of guilding around the figure on the obverse. The pin for attachment to the jacket is of a type I haven't seen before.

Of course, these medals aren't cheap, but the asking price compared well with other examples I've seen offered recently.  I won't have any pennies left in the medal fund for a while.

Gentlemen, I await your verdict.

Bill

Hello Bill,

A nice example indeed.  A good pickup and addition to your collection.

Regards,
    Rob

• 3 months later...
    • 2 weeks later...
    On 01/02/2017 at 18:26, davidck said:

It seems like the few times I've seen one, it's been about that price.  What would you say is typical?

Hi David.

It's hard to know the "right" price, I would say around $ 1500. But this is very irregular.

Lambert

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone sees a Brazilian Victory medal for $1500 you should buy it immediately (or tell me where you saw it and I will buy it). That would be a bargain price as far as I am concerned. Over here in Europe you would be lucky to find one anywhere for the less than the equivalent of $2500

best wishes

Rob

• 8 months later...
    • 3 weeks later...