News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Thai/Siamese Victory Medals

Hi Gents,

There's a Siam vic on eBay - asking price $1999 - item # /121225161003.

There are a lot of accompanying photos, and it looks OK to me - what do you think? (Not that I'm in a position to buy at that price!)

Bill

• Replies 133
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Gents,

There's a Siam vic on eBay - asking price $1999 - item # /121225161003.

There are a lot of accompanying photos, and it looks OK to me - what do you think? (Not that I'm in a position to buy at that price!)

Bill

Hello Bill,

Despite the accumulation of residue amongst the base relief, possibly from cleaning, this is a good looking official piece. I am sure it could be cleaned up with some careful brushing to remove the residue buildup. A quick dip in an ultrasonic cleaner should remove all that buildup.

While the price could be considered high it is nonetheless a rare piece, as far as the entire interallied vic series is concerned. These original pieces do not appear that often and are, with the Brazil vic, most often missing from a vic collection.

Regards,

Rob

• 2 months later...

Any comments on this example? It looks consistent with the genuine copies to me, but I figured I'd ask the experts.

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_02_2014/post-16545-0-71664800-1391626259.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_02_2014/post-16545-0-48078300-1391626266.jpg

Hello David,

Any comments on this example? It looks consistent with the genuine copies to me, but I figured I'd ask the experts.

As Dave posted at #39 of this thread this particular strike has been previously identified as a reproduction. While the exact manufacturer has not yet been established there are a number of die differences which should aid the vic collector in not being duped into thinking this is an official strike.

Regards,
    Rob

Rob,

I do enjoy seeing what out there, thanks for the heads up on the medal in questions and its number. Its a nice medal, and as I do not have an original or reproduction Siam. I would very much think about bidding on this medal as a fill in if: I were under 70 years old and the cost was reasonable.

need example with a good and sound suspension knob.

Regards, Jim

To one and all,

Whoever buys has no idea that it is a copy, it will be a very expensive copy. :unsure:

Lambert

Rob,

I do enjoy seeing what out there, thanks for the heads up on the medal in questions and its number. Its a nice medal, and as I do not have an original or reproduction Siam. I would very much think about bidding on this medal as a fill in if: I were under 70 years old and the cost was reasonable.

need example with a good and sound suspension knob.

Regards, Jim

As Lambert indicated, and Jim surmised; the medal did indeed go for a respectable price of € 256 (US $ 350). Quite a tidy sum for a 'reproduction'.

This particular reproduction strike is one of the nicer in the market. It has good clean lines and is very representative of an original. In this regard it is a good candidate as a 'place filler' until a collector can organise or afford the original strike.

The challenge, of course, remains whether or not these items are listed for sale as 'original' or 'reproductions'.

Regards,
    Rob

Edited by RobW

But for this example, one may as well buy from the source for only $47.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/b0070-World-War-I-Victory-medal-for-Siam-Thailand-/350976369652

It doesn't really matter if they are advertised as reproductions by the original seller, as they will inevitably be advertised by a later seller as original. Therefore, they should be stamped as copy directly on the item.

Hello Dave,

But for this example, one may as well buy from the source for only $47.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/b0070-World-War-I-Victory-medal-for-Siam-Thailand-/350976369652

It doesn't really matter if they are advertised as reproductions by the original seller, as they will inevitably be advertised by a later seller as original. Therefore, they should be stamped as copy directly on the item.

I couldn't agree more, that reproductions should be marked accordingly. I do, however, not hold any hope that this will occur in the marketplace. Vendors will always be looking for an opportunity to make extra money on their wares and if ambiguous titles and listings will lead to increased profits I would expect that the practice will continue. We can all wish that such unscrupulous behaviour does not exist but in this market, where price and profits seem paramount, we are not likely to see a change in vendor practices.

Regards,
    Rob

To all

As I see it, we at GMIC have just a small audience of the Victory Medal collecting market. This limits us from helping others. Many have posted information on medals being sold in the bidding war on ebay. I only seen it happen one time where the person bidding was a member on GMIC and asked questions.

I believe there are collectors who are hoarders and do interact with other collectors, and there others who may believe we on GMIC are just trying to drive down the price of the item they are bidding on.

"C'est la vie",

Jim

• 3 months later...

Hi medaille69,

This appears to be a genuine example (I saw it also in person at Kris's shop). The issue is the spot of Verdigris and residue on the front chest and left arm (big round area with darker color and small blue/green spots). If acquired, you might best address this to keep it from getting worse. There is a lot of info on google on verdigris. One possible treatment might be Verdi-Care - I haven't used it but it seems like it might be good (

Rgds,

Dave

Hello Jean-François,

I would agree with Dave's comments regarding the verdigris and other marks.

While there is another example on Barry Turks' emedals site it is much more expensive than the example list on ebay. It all comes down to how much you are willing to pay compared to the condition of the item. With some careful cleaning you could clean the item up and end up with a nice example.

As most vic type collectors are aware both the Siam and Brazil vic are the hardest country examples to obtain.

Regards,

Rob

Edited by RobW

Hello Jean-François,

I would agree with Dave's comments regarding the verdigris and other marks.

While there is another example on Barry Turks' emedals site it is much more expensive than the example list on ebay. It all comes down to how much you are willing to pay compared to the condition of the item. With some careful cleaning you could clean the item up and end up with a nice example.

As most vic type collectors are aware both the Siam and Brazil vic are the hardest country examples to obtain.

Regards,

Rob

I attended an auction on Saturday. I tried to buy a Vic Brazil but i've been outbid at the last moment.

It was a good chance to get it but I lost ..

http://www.carlosalbertobarros.com.br/peca.asp?Id=289135

Lambert