Thai/Siamese Victory Medals

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Bill,

thanks again for the reply (don't seem to be many of us on these interallied victory medal fora at the moment!). It looks good to me, but always great to have a second opinion. What surprised me when I took this out of its wallet was how light it was compared to most of the other victory medals, but when I looked it up in Laslo after, he says exactly the same thing and this was extra reassuring. I bought this medal almost 12 years ago from a dealer in Bangkok who assured me it was genuine and thankfully he was right as this was the last of the series for me to obtain and it was very expensive!

cheers

Rob

sumserbrown, I agree with Bill. It looks fine to me as well(the forefinger protruding from the baton, the bottom of the baton and the headdress all look ok) and it looks in in very good condition. Great purchase, very hard to find. I would love to have one myself.

Hi Graham,

if you want I can let you have the abomination I used as a placeholder until I managed to buy the real one. It's a hideous modern piece I think from the UK, but it lets you pretend you have that elusive and expensive Siam medal (if you squint hard enough) 😄

best wishes

Rob

176 obverse.JPG

• 6 months later...

HI All

Here are examples of 3 fakes and 1 genuine sold by a well known dealer.  Unfortunately all were advertised as genuine.  The dealer of course knew the fakes were not genuine, as the pricing was totally different.

Cheers

Emedals Siam WW1 Fake 1.JPG

Emedals Siam WW1 Fake 2.JPG

Emedals Siam WW1 Fake 3.JPG

Emedals Siam WW1 Genuine 1.JPG

pics of copy 1 - covered ear (Laslo "Repro Type 1")

s_886.jpg

s_887.jpg

s_888.jpg

pics of copy 2 - also covered ear (Laslo "Repro Type 1") - very similar to the above

a_rare_first_war_559d431980531.jpg

img_02.jpg559d432a1e269.jpg

img_03.jpg559d433173c99.jpg

pics of copy 3 -  seems to be one of the $30 "museum" copies coming from UK

dscf1924_2_.jpg

dscf1925_2_.jpg

dscf1926_2_.jpg

dscf1927_2_.jpg

dscf1928_2_.jpg

1 out of 4 was really genuine ...

a_rare_wwi_thai__535fa9bf7f123.jpg

img_02.jpg535fa9d916c77.jpg

img_03.jpg535fa9df7a400.jpg

img_04.jpg535fa9d1179b7.jpg

img_05.jpg535fa9e6e4714.jpg

Edited by ThaiDave
split items

Hi All

Here is a "covered ear" "repro" from a European auction house some time back.  The dealer was advised in advance, but sold as genuine anyway.

Cheers

cat13-807.jpg

GN.JPG